Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 2008 GT LS3 cam swap

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2008 GT LS3 cam swap

I know this has been done before, but I figured I would document everything so people can get a better idea of everything involved and the power that you can make with a simple LS3 cam swap, AND retain DoD if you want to.

The car currently sits as this; 124k on the stock lifters. Starting to get a little noisy and the timing chain is rattling so I figured I'd preemptively delete the DoD before a failure. Solo mach shorty cat back, SLP UDP, K&N intake, and a cortex tuner. Car made 286 on a dyno dynamics (~10% below a dynojet or similar from our personal comparisons) a notoriously low reading local dyno but it's a good baseline for future gains

Showing up this week is a Tick Performance DoD delete kit with Morel lifters. LS3 can from Pace, along with a set of CPP blue beehive springs. Not the stiffest, but enough for an LS3 cam on the stock rev limit

Cam install this weekend if all the parts arrive, and a dyno ASAP after that. All said and done, I'll be ~800 into the delete with cam so it's a good alternative for those DIY'ers who want a basic DoD delete for the stock tune.

Will update as things progress!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you plan on dynoing after the cam swap
    87 GN bolt ons Alky kit 12.10 @110 on Drs

3. Dislikes Augi disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW.......

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHotMess View Post

Cam install this weekend if all the parts arrive, and a dyno ASAP after that.
    Would like to see what numbers come from this as well.....

Post Thanks / Like

of course! I'll give it a couple days to let the fuel trims adapt and then throw it on.

Post Thanks / Like

All the parts arrived, will start the install tomorrow. Dyno monday if all goes according to plan

Post Thanks / Like

Results are in! Pretty much what I expected on a stock tune

andrew-holden-commie.jpg

Lots of mid-range gains, not much more RPM. I guess that's what happens when the duration numbers stay very similar and you only really increase lift Ran into some serious heatsoak issues after this first pull, so next little mod will be an HSRK

Unfortunately the original dyno had the RPM scaling off so it's not a direct overlay. However, if you just imagine the old graph moved back over to match (reved to the same RPM both times) you'll get the idea

All said and done it cost about $800 for the swap. Drives like a champ, and sounds mean too! Will upload videos as I get them ready
    Last edited by WhiteHotMess; 02-22-2016 at 07:04 PM.