Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: charging system issues..HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ft2lewis View Post
    And one last thing. How accurate are the tests autozone runs. Can I take what they tell me to the bank?
    CCA's are cold cranking amps. This is the power the battery stores to turn the starter. Obvious not an issue where you are, but heat can kill a battery also. Autozone is in business to sell batteries, if the tool they use tells you the battery is good, I'll accept that. First thing in the morning is a good time to check state of charge in engineering mode. Looks to be about 68 degrees at 7 am.
    I have 2 different chargers for my cars and tractors.
    I have the standard 6v 12v charger with 2 amp or 15 amp charge with a start 60 amp switch. The green led lights when the battery is fully charged. I've done this outside and inside the G8. Each time state of charge was 100 percent.
    I also have a Ctek which I usually rotate between battery's during the Winter. It will also fully charge a battery and keep it charged.

You must be tired of pulling that alternator.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How accurate are the tests autozone runs. Can I take what they tell me to the bank?
    Well, unless they put a big load on the battery, I wouldn't believe the test. When my battery died amongst the wave of dead G8 batteries around the 3 yr mark, Walmart put a hand held tester to my battery and declared it GOOD. My response was "change it".

There are setups that will load the battery to test it. You need some big resistor banks so I doubt a little hand held tester will do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Batteries Plus has a load bank they use to really test a battery. That being said, a battery less than a year old isn't usually the problem, but of course it's possible.

My car is always on a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. when parked (which is most of the time). I've used them for years on my motorcycles and they extend the life of a battery 2-3 times in my unscientific test. They're cheap at like 25 bucks and have a pigtail you install so hookup is super simple.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

my nearest autozone does have a pretty solid battery tester with Load simulator on it. It's on a cart. What I don't like is they don't exactly teach the people there how to correctly use the machine.

so meh.

I still wonder if you're somehow killing the alternator's rectifier circuits. (I assume here the field load and the supply side are unaffected).

Something I would test - and the alternator test should do this too - is with a multi-meter set on AC Volts check the AC volts at the battery terminals with the car running, headlights on, and AC on or radio - either way.

This should ideally come up 0.0. However nothing is Ideal. So values below 1 VAC are good. OH and when you put probes on - you need to give it a second to settle. Many Multimeters do a RMS reading and it needs a second or two to settle in because the frequency isn't steady.

AC voltage is bad on batteries and the effects multiply. If your VAC is high the rectifier circuit is dead or dying and that is not good - but I think you're already at that stage now.

On other issue - and I believe this is hard to test without a scan too - is the BCM varies the field load on the alternator. It's the smaller wires connected to the alternator. That voltage varies based on what the computer demands from the alternator, I believe there is a chart in the manual for testing. IF the computer demands lower current, but the needs of the car are actually higher - then you can setup a feedback where the car needs pull hard on the rectifier circuits that aren't being supplied with enough current from the AC side of the alternator. IE it kills itself. And it does so because either the computer is reading the demand load of the car wrong - or it has an internal fault of it's own.

In either case you should have a trouble code related. But I don't seem to read that in your posts.

Sight unseen I still have this suspicion that your battery is killing your alternator. My other suspicion is your repair service lied to you or didn't fully test your re-build. OH how old is your battery? what flavor is it?
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Im not feeling to great right now, but I'll run through everybody's tests when I get out of work tomorrow. The battery is less than a year old (purchased in may if memory serves me correctly)and it's a gel type, forgot brand but can check tomorrow. Since I've got the procharger in now, I've been pulling the alternator through the wheel well. Huge pita. I'm am so ready for this problem to be a thing of the past. I'll try to get more info tomorrow but I definitely appreciate the help in the mean time.
    ProCharger D1SC with 3 core Intercooler, Livernois 1C cam with DOD delete, Circel D 278mm 3000-3200 torque converter, Hayden Transaver Plus 30K, F.A.S.T 102mm LSXR intake, Nick Williams 102mm TB, F.A.S.T fuel rails, F.A.S.T 65 lb injectors kooks 17/8 lt, custom 3" cat back exhaust
    Tune is a work in progress

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you feel better - sucks to have other issues while sick. Good Luck.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

7. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope that you mean it's an AGM battery? If it's a truly a gel battery, it will have been fried by the alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by ft2lewis View Post
    The battery is less than a year old (purchased in may if memory serves me correctly)and it's a gel type, forgot brand but can check tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really sure, I haven't had the time to get out there and look. I know i got agel type from O'Reilly. I got the replacement alternator from Ray on Saturday. Once I get a chance, I'll toss it in and let you guys know.
    ProCharger D1SC with 3 core Intercooler, Livernois 1C cam with DOD delete, Circel D 278mm 3000-3200 torque converter, Hayden Transaver Plus 30K, F.A.S.T 102mm LSXR intake, Nick Williams 102mm TB, F.A.S.T fuel rails, F.A.S.T 65 lb injectors kooks 17/8 lt, custom 3" cat back exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

It was an agm battery btw. Still need to put the alternator in. Hopefully Tuesday

Post Thanks / Like

so the alternator is in now and seems to be working. so far. ill update later next week