Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake dust on one wheel

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brake dust on one wheel

I noticed yesterday that I've got a lot of brake dust on the right rear wheel while the rest are pretty clean. The brakes are all original still, and the pads are getting to the point of needing replacement at 65k miles and being pretty thin. There is a small amount of warped rotor feel too that has been around for a long time. The dealer turned the rotors early on for some shudder, but it came back a while later like I told them it would... but it's not new and hasn't increased abnormally recently. I've read around and it sounds like this is normally a caliper issue. The part that gets me is that the dust isn't even around the whole wheel. One third of it is almost clean and it fades into a pretty dirty wheel.
    Last edited by J Wikoff; 01-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely that the seal in that caliper isn't pulling it back after you let off the pedal. That pad should be thinner than the others.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, knowing the brakes were due anyway, I bought Centric slotted rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads, and a right rear caliper. Already have a set of Russell braided lines too. I'll give that caliper a good once over when I do the brake job and replace it if necessary. If not, I'm only out shipping once I return the caliper.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

4. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't swapped any parts yet since my time is limited, but I thought I'd update.

I noticed last week I could hear that the wheel in question grinds while braking. The grind goes away when not braking. So it seems like the caliper is releasing like it should. Is it likely that the caliper is fine, given that, and it's just the very thin pads? I can see the outer pad is super thin. Can't see the inner with the wheel on, but I bet it's worse off.

Winter-wear:

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't necessarily replace the caliper.

Disassemble, inspect the pads. If there is a lot of wear and it is uneven, i would completely disassemble the bracket and clean and lube the pins, clean the rubber boots, and inspect and lube the seal on the piston. Confirm the piston moves freely.

Did this to my GXP last year. Complete rehab @ 42K or whatever it was.

I've done it to vehicles several dozen times, and a caliper replacement is overkill if not really required. Recently did my fiancees 2006 Nissan Maxima. I have no idea how that thing stopped, it was completely locked up. 0 pedal travel, i want to throat punch whoever touched that car previously. Everything works flawlessly now.
    Last edited by MIEngineer; 02-08-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

7. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can just use some kerosene and a tooth brush to clean around the pistons as well. Kerosene is a great cleaner.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the studs on the pads are in contact with the rotors if they are thin. Like you said every brake job I have ever done the inner pad has had the most wear.
    2009 GT PBM Sport/Premium Packs
    Kook's / Corsa / Roto Fab CAI with HSRK / Polished Camaro's with Nitto Invo's / Camaro Brembo's / GRRRR8 Hose & ARP Bolt kits / VG Fin / GXP diffuser / Black door trim & other goodies from CP / UPR catch can / Livernois / BMR / Russell / Jet-Hot / SunTech tint by Drew / MM / Adams / Klearz / TSS

10. Thanks 805G8GT thanked for this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the brakes today. The inner pad was wiped clean and the backer plate & rotor were grinding each other away. The caliper pistons retracted normally and the bracket slid fine, so I did not replace it.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the bad rotor and pad. You can see all the pad material is gone from that inner pad. About a third to a half the rotor thickness had been ground off.

Newness:

I also had to replace the hard brake line to the right front. When I first got the Russel stainless hoses, probably 5-6 years ago, I tried to install that one first. The nut on the hard line rounded off with ease, so I left it alone and put the hoses on the shelf. This time I forced the issue and got a new hard line just in case. I got them installed on all the other corners without issue then came to that one last. Before even touching the existing line, I made sure I could get the new line installed without major dis-assembly. The pop-out pass-thru panel and the ABS unit being right there were a Godsend. It was still a little difficult with the original line still in place, but once I persuaded the new one in far enough to know it would go in, I cut the original out and went on my merry way.

BTW, the caliper mount bolts are thread-locked into place. I'm pretty sure I stress-fractured my forearm breaking them loose with my 3/8" ratchet. I'd LOL but my arm really does hurt.
    Last edited by J Wikoff; 02-22-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why it happens, but I drive a Dodge Charger police car at work and we have a fleet of Chargers and when checking the brakes, we always look at the inside pad of the back right rotor. It's the one that wears out first all the time on every car.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.