Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kooks headers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kooks headers

I have searched and searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My question is this how much trouble is it to hook kooks LT's up to the factory mid pipes.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    2009 White Hot GT sport, Onyx/Red, Roto Fab CAI, ported TB, Solo axel back, tuned, and some other stuff

2. Likes Settinonmyass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't recommend doing this, but if you really want to hook Kooks LTs to the stock system, you'll need an exhaust shop to do a bit of fabrication for you to make it work. If you just want headers connected to the stock midpipe, i think there are other options out there that would be easier to connect than the Kooks. I love Kooks and they are my go to header, but for what you're asking to do, SLP and Doug Thorley's would likely be easier to connect, but you'll need to research it a bit more to be certain.

If you want headers with a tame sound, get the Kooks LTs, kooks catted mid-pipe, and run it into some stock GT mufflers. It has a nice sound, but not too loud and no drone and will run really well. Keeping the stock mid pipes with headers, won't allow you to benefit from the full potential of the headers. It will be better than the stock exhaust manifolds, but still not worth spending the extra cash on a sweet set of Kooks only to be choked down. Just my opinion.
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced my stock exhaust with a set of Kooks Long tubes and catted x pipe with the stock GT mufflers. If your going this route I would suggest getting the headers coated.
    87 GN bolt ons Alky kit 12.10 @110 on Drs

Post Thanks / Like

Save yourself the headache and get the matching mid-pipe if you wanna keep the stock mufflers.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Post Thanks / Like

Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers bolted up to the stock exhaust after you remove the primary cats on my GXP.
    Still considering taking out the pup cats and replacing with an x pipe.
    BTW, Thorley's ceramic coat is great. Mine look nearly new still and I bought them used! I've put about 10K miles on them myself and I think they had about that when I got them.
    Last edited by kevinm0131; 01-06-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    Kevin
    2009 SRM G8 GXP A6 + Roof
    Go
    Vararam CAI
    VMS "Stealth" Dyno Tune
    VMS HSRK
    GTPprix's hacked Atari gauges
    Norris Motorsports Billet Oil Catch Can
    Radical Advantage Trans dipstick
    Blendimount and Invisicord for the V-1
    Doug Thorley LT's

Show
    Tint by Spade Kreations 35% & 20%
    Holden V-6 rad cover courtesy of Crazy Paul
    PB
    12.986 @ 108.78
    R.I.P. Charlie......FUCK Cancer!

Post Thanks / Like

Currently have a x-pipe and Solo Performance axle back. Reason I was wanting to keep my mid pipe is it still has the resonators in place. All of this was done when I got the car.

Last edited by woodyda1; 01-06-2016 at 04:02 PM.
    2009 White Hot GT sport, Onyx/Red, Roto Fab CAI, ported TB, Solo axel back, tuned, and some other stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Not the best videos but this is how it sounds and I love it

https://youtu.be/K-7zO0NTnFw

https://youtu.be/ibuYy_MCW8c

9. Likes Markmsf3 liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyda1 View Post
    Currently have a x-pipe and Solo Performance axle back. Reason I was wanting to keep my mid pipe is it still has the resonators in place. All of this was done when I got the car.

What is going on there where the pipes join? It looks really odd it this picture, but it could just be the picture.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyda1 View Post

If you're planning to run the solo axle backs, you won't really need the resonators. The drone is pretty minimal, assuming that you want the resonators for drone minimization.

Toomanyhobbies is right, something looks really odd where the pipes join.
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    What is going on there where the pipes join? It looks really odd it this picture, but it could just be the picture.
    That I don't know I took this picture when I had it raised up to change the oil and didn't notice it till I looked at the picture that night. I'll have to look at it again when I have it up.

2009 White Hot G8 GT, 6.0L 364 CI L76