Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Posi Mod for the Camaro Differential

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY Posi Mod for the Camaro Differential

There is a popular modification to the 218mm camaro LSD carrier were extra clutches are added to keep both wheels spinning. At $200 plus shipping and handling, it's about $225 for about $100 in parts. So here is what you need to order...

Clutch Kit - GM - 92230606 (You will need two of these)
    Spring - Ford - EOAZ-4214-A (Yup a FORD part)

The instructions can be found on the internet but the only thing I would add is to soak the clutches in gear oil with the friction modifier prior to installation.
    Last edited by Phil@PnP Tech; 12-28-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

Post Thanks / Like

Is this for the 3.27 geared diff?
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

3.27, 3.45, and 3.91 yup. They are all the same carrier. There are mixed reviews but most are that it's ţoo tight. It will loosen up once some friction modifier works in the clutches. That's why I presoak the clutches. Super easy mod once the carrier is out.
    Phillip M.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

fwiw, installed mine about January '13 - still going good.

here are the new disks after soaked in oil:

The assemble stack with new spring:

Spreader for remove/install:

Looks like my 8 has three pieces for ford DNA - Diff spring, gt500 HX and IC tank.
    Last edited by jcmGT; 01-02-2016 at 06:41 AM.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

5. Thanks Phil@PnP Tech thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the part numbers, this is next on my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update... Finally getting some miles on this setup. I filled it up with Royal Purple which supposedly already has the limited slip friction modifier in it. It was almost unbearable. It was almost locker tight. Light gravel or wet roads it would spin the inside tire just like a locker would. Dry roads it would pop, slip, and chatter... just not a pleasure to drive.

So I stopped by the local parts store and picked up a tube of the generic limited slip additive. I added it in to see if it would help. To my surprise, it really calmed down the diff. I drove it around and within a few miles through the twists and turns of my neighborhood it must have worked into the clutches. Jury is still out for how it behaves on wet roads. I dont plan on drive it much when its wet but we will see.

So if you do this mod, add in a 7oz tube with the quart of gear oil for best results.
    Phillip M.

8. Likes tchr49 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another week driving the car... still not completely settled down. The car still pops/shutters in low speed cornering (not nearly as bad as it was)... I do have a complete BMR suspension with Poly everything and Delrin Upper control arm bushings so I'm sure that amplifies any noises into the cabin. Still annoying... If it's not settled by the winter, I will pull it back out and figure a way to get less spring pressure or just put it back to stock.
    Phillip M.

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY Posi Mod for the Camaro Differential

Thanks for posting this. I think I'll give it a shot. The "low mileage" 3.27 diff I installed has been giving me issues at the drag strip. Camaro guys told me I either needed to do the JRE posi mod (basically what you did hear for less money) or put a true-trac in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Magnetic Gray Metallic G8 GT Premium - DOD Delete, Livernois stage 1C cam, 25% UD pulley, Vararam.

(SOLD) 2008 White Hot G8 GT premium - DOD Delete, COMP 269LRR HR13 cam, 3.23 Camaro diff, 25% UD pulley, Circle D Pro II 258 2B stall, SOLO High flow cats
    12.612 @ 109.31, 1.886 60' ft on street tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Phillip, sorry to dig up this old thread. I have camaro 3.45 diff and had it rebuilt with a kit off one of the camaro sites.

The plates were loaded at 300psi but man it's tight. Pops and stuff on low speed turns like you mentioned.

Did you ever sort the tightness out? I added more GM friction modifier this weekend. I'm still testing if it's helping.

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker47 View Post
    Quick update... Finally getting some miles on this setup. I filled it up with Royal Purple which supposedly already has the limited slip friction modifier in it. It was almost unbearable. It was almost locker tight. Light gravel or wet roads it would spin the inside tire just like a locker would. Dry roads it would pop, slip, and chatter... just not a pleasure to drive.

So I stopped by the local parts store and picked up a tube of the generic limited slip additive. I added it in to see if it would help. To my surprise, it really calmed down the diff. I drove it around and within a few miles through the twists and turns of my neighborhood it must have worked into the clutches. Jury is still out for how it behaves on wet roads. I dont plan on drive it much when its wet but we will see.

So if you do this mod, add in a 7oz tube with the quart of gear oil for best results.
    Last edited by RichsGreyGT; 04-03-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    MGM '09 G8 GT, RCR tuned, RCR cam (223/231 .625/.622 111+0 ), PRC 250CC heads 65cc chambers, RCR "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Spectre 102mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Vararam with RCR type air wedge, Solo Mach CB, 3.45 gears & Yank 3200SS stall

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    Phillip, sorry to dig up this old thread. I have camaro 3.45 diff and had it rebuilt with a kit off one of the camaro sites.

The plates were loaded at 300psi but man it's tight. Pops and stuff on low speed turns like you mentioned.

Did you ever sort the tightness out? I added more GM friction modifier this weekend. I'm still testing if it's helping.
    To be honest, I haven't driven the car much recently. I took it around the neighborhood the other day and didnt really notice it much. When backing it out of the garage and making the turn down the driveway, I did notice it was loading up some. It is kinda jerky but not necessarily skidding the tire. This on the a 275/60/R15 drag radial though... more grib and soft sidewall. I'm sure it would still skid my street tires in gravel or rain. It's definitely too much preload resulting in a high torque bias. Driving it more may help as it wears. If I have it apart or build another one, I will reduce the preload somehow.
    Phillip M.