Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kooks axle back sound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarnesGN View Post
    How are your thoughts on stock GXP mufflers?
    The PO of my car had the GXP mufflers behind the car with the Kooks LT's into their mid pipe and said it was too loud. Said he was afraid of being ticketed for it. He installed the Corsa System which I still have and it's wonderful! Loud when hammered, but quiet enough around town. Shame it's only a 2.5" system, but that's enough for my build.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

The PO of my car?
    87 GN bolt ons Alky kit 12.10 @110 on Drs

Post Thanks / Like

Previous owner
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am running SOLO with the "J" bend, NO DRONE!!!!
    2009 G8GT, Phantom Black and red seats, all the premium extras,Thorlo hedders,Volant cold air intake,Solo cat backs,custom spoiler,custom mats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brewski View Post
    I am running SOLO with the "J" bend, NO DRONE!!!!
    Bet it sounds good too!!!
    Marty

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice rumble.
    2009 G8GT, Phantom Black and red seats, all the premium extras,Thorlo hedders,Volant cold air intake,Solo cat backs,custom spoiler,custom mats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarnesGN View Post
    I already have Kooks long tubes along with the matching x pipe. Does any one have the kooks axle backs also. How does it sound? Any drone?
    Have you already installed the kooks LTs and matching x-pipe or are you waiting to come up with a different axleback? The reason I ask is because they don't sound too back with the stock mufflers on them. Might be a little too quiet for some, but overall it doesn't sound bad and definitely no drone.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

The X pipe is the key to deleting the drone....
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000

Post Thanks / Like

I had the full KOOKS also. The drone was insane! After adding the J-pipe it sounded great, best thing you can do to any axleback. Out of the 4 setups I had, it's the best sounding. I had to put GT mufflers on the car for a bit. It sounded completely stock and killed the top end. I couldn't wait to get them off.
    MGM GXP - M6, sunroof, and a whole lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 GT V8 View Post
    Have you already installed the kooks LTs and matching x-pipe or are you waiting to come up with a different axleback? The reason I ask is because they don't sound too back with the stock mufflers on them. Might be a little too quiet for some, but overall it doesn't sound bad and definitely no drone.
    I agree. I have kooks LTs, high flow cats to X pipe back to stock mufflers. No drone. Basically all kooks except the mufflers. Fairly quiet inside the car under normal cruise. You can tell something is there when you step on it though. Several people have complimented me on the sound.

It does start as 3" but tapers down to 2.5" after the X pipe. Bolts right up to stocks.
    Rich

08 Panther Black G8 GT....# 644 of 888

Vararam intake, Kooks long tube headers, kooks full exhaust, OBX mufflers, Eibachs on FE3s, various electrical upgrades