Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: subframe bolts for trans removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default subframe bolts for trans removal

looking for specs on the long subframe bolts to lower subrame and aid in transmission removal. Greg mentioned these in a trans removal post, but I've not been able to locate bolt specs or P/N. Thanks!
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leon McJones View Post
    looking for specs on the long subframe bolts to lower subrame and aid in transmission removal. Greg mentioned these in a trans removal post, but I've not been able to locate bolt specs or P/N. Thanks!
    I don't know about the specs but you don't need to mess with them to drop the trans. You should be able to take the drive shaft loose and push it up above the trans so it can be dropped out. No need to mess with the front ones either; once you have the bell housing bolts out and converter bolts out, you can slide the trans back just a bit, then drop just a bit and work it that way until it clears everything.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug! I think you put my worries about the tech manual removal procedures to rest.
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leon McJones View Post
    Thanks Doug! I think you put my worries about the tech manual removal procedures to rest.
    No problem; I use the Rick Crawford method of trans removal! Call me if you want to talk through it...919 522-4678; I've done it probably 10 times now between mine and others.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

I also loosened the engine mounts and lifter the front of the oil pan to tip the engine back to make it easy to get the top bellhousing bolts out. A real long extention and two swivels work great.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    I also loosened the engine mounts and lifter the front of the oil pan to tip the engine back to make it easy to get the top bellhousing bolts out. A real long extention and two swivels work great.
    I don't even loosen the engine mounts as they have enough give to allow the engine to rock back enough to get to those pesky eleven and twelve o'clock position bolts. Just remove the cross-member at the rear of the transmission and gently allow the transmission to sag down so as not to put any shock stress on the engine mounts and you can get to all the bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hilliard View Post
    I don't even loosen the engine mounts as they have enough give to allow the engine to rock back enough to get to those pesky eleven and twelve o'clock position bolts. Just remove the cross-member at the rear of the transmission and gently allow the transmission to sag down so as not to put any shock stress on the engine mounts and you can get to all the bolts.
    That's what I did at first but wasn't enough for me. Maybe my swivel extention combination wasn't enough.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

rock n roll. doing this tomorrow am with two friends that are certified techs so we should knock it out quick. Thanks everyone for all the sound advice!!
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford

9. Likes Doug Hilliard liked this post