Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3" Axle back?

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt you'll mod it until it works. Found the "muffler" idea very interesting. A smaller diameter exit pipe inserted into the larger diameter entrance pipe might act like a helmholtz chamber. Maybe. Hmmm.........

You guys'll have to look at the other forum. Jsn gets around.
    The "Cheap-@ss Modder" and Thread Killer
    Just Sitting The Bench Now
    "Git that boy a cold rag for his head"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
    No doubt you'll mod it until it works. Found the "muffler" idea very interesting. A smaller diameter exit pipe inserted into the larger diameter entrance pipe might act like a helmholtz chamber. Maybe. Hmmm.........

You guys'll have to look at the other forum. Jsn gets around.
    The chamber idea is kind of what I was hoping for, it might act as some sort of hemholtz, or perhaps some kind of "echo" chamber. Yeah... I get around lol...

Sorry it's taken so long to get some kind of video up... I tried with my GoPro, it doesn't quite capture the true bass of the sound, and it's a little rattley but it gives you guys an idea...

still haven't put the tips on or the high flow cats... Cam, stock manifolds, stock cats, stock exhaust back to the 3" straight pipe axle back. I will make another video after the HFC's go on, and the tips. Then I'll start playing with the "guts".

2008 Magnetic Gray Metallic G8 GT Premium - DOD Delete, Livernois stage 1C cam, 25% UD pulley, Vararam.

(SOLD) 2008 White Hot G8 GT premium - DOD Delete, COMP 269LRR HR13 cam, 3.23 Camaro diff, 25% UD pulley, Circle D Pro II 258 2B stall, SOLO High flow cats
    12.612 @ 109.31, 1.886 60' ft on street tires.

3. Thanks G8 GT V8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

, I put the tips on this past weekend (Bolt on, so they can be removed for more experiments later down the road... What an amazing different just adding the tips made! It's almost as if adding the tips has taken most of the in cabin drone sound and put it outside the car, if that makes any sense?

Since adding the tips, the idle sound is noticeably now louder, and deeper sounding than before. Somehow it's also managed to cut the in cabin drone down to a very livable level, even at the worst rpms... I don't have any real numbers, but I would guesstimate that the drone is about 40-50% less noticeable inside the cabin... Just from adding the tips! CRAZY!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Magnetic Gray Metallic G8 GT Premium - DOD Delete, Livernois stage 1C cam, 25% UD pulley, Vararam.

(SOLD) 2008 White Hot G8 GT premium - DOD Delete, COMP 269LRR HR13 cam, 3.23 Camaro diff, 25% UD pulley, Circle D Pro II 258 2B stall, SOLO High flow cats

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

fwiw, there are sound meter apps for apple and android - easy to gather relevant data.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    I think that unless you have long tube headers with a 3" collector and 3" all the way back, AND you are 600+ to the wheels, you are wasting time and money.
    Agreed. It'd make more sense if you went 3" all the way back

2009 G8 GT
    Roto-fab CAI, Kooks LTH & Catless xpipe, CTSV wheels/tires, Hawk Brake Pads, PatG Cam, Forged Pistons & Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Finally put on the SOLO high flow cats. Sounds good! Surprisingly there is even less drone now with them installed. Drone in the cabin is minimal, I think the exhaust sounds great myself, so I think I'll call it quits here on playing with the exhaust any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RacnJsn95; 05-04-2016 at 03:32 PM.

8. Likes TooManyHobbies liked this post