Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: The old TPMS sensor question AGAIN.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The old TPMS sensor question AGAIN.

Let me get this one out there and then we will go after the answers.

We have taken the rims that had the factory TPMS sensors off of the 009 G8 and now we want to put another set of sensors in the rims and tires that are presently on the car. The cost of breaking down the one set and removing the sensors and then breaking down the second set to install is about $80.00, then the balancing on top of that. We found sensors that are listed as Factory GM and I would like to know a couple things. If the replacement sensors are installed the second set of tires will they link up to the car with a reset tool, or do we have to get a set and have someone that is capable of doing a "clone" on our sensors to get the second set of tires to align with the G8?

The price listed on E-bay is basically about the same as the break down of the first set of tires to remove the sensors, and if we want to go back to that set, then another transfer would have to happen. Both sets of rims have the right valve stems for the TPMS stuff.

NEW GENUINE GM (4) TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SENSORS # 13586335

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...item2a301ceaa4

Post Thanks / Like

You have two options:

You can simply reset the tire pressure sensors when you change the wheels (Link them to the vehicle). You don't need a tool, the procedure is in the owner manual

If you have the right tool you can clone the sensors so that you don't need to reset them after you change the wheels. (You would have to keep them away from the car and keep track of which corner they came from)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post
    You have two options:

You can simply reset the tire pressure sensors when you change the wheels (Link them to the vehicle). You don't need a tool, the procedure is in the owner manual

If you have the right tool you can clone the sensors so that you don't need to reset them after you change the wheels. (You would have to keep them away from the car and keep track of which corner they came from)

If we purchase another set of the factory TPMS sensors, would they have to be cloned or can we just put them on the second set of wheels and then go through the process that one would have to do to rotate tires? The parts person, thought that all that is needed would be th erelearn process. That way there are two sets of TPMS available and you would not have to have a tool to clone the sensors.

Post Thanks / Like

They DON'T have to be cloned you can just use the relearn process in the same way you would after rotating the tires. No tool required although it is easier

Quote Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
    If we purchase another set of the factory TPMS sensors, would they have to be cloned or can we just put them on the second set of wheels and then go through the process that one would have to do to rotate tires? The parts person, thought that all that is needed would be th erelearn process. That way there are two sets of TPMS available and you would not have to have a tool to clone the sensors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post
    They DON'T have to be cloned you can just use the relearn process in the same way you would after rotating the tires. No tool required although it is easier
    Thanks, that supports some other input that I received.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I have never cloned or reset TPMS. I have my factory rims with factory TPMS and a set of SLP Firehawk rims with Orange brand TPMS that I bought on Amazon. Sometimes the car will pick up readings from some of the wheels in the garage, but after driving for 15-20 minutes they pick up the ones mounted on the car. Not sure if it's time or distance, perhaps a combo. Also, when I put the drag radials on it might be a half hour before I get the angry tpms display on the DIC.
    Am I missing something?
    Kevin
    2009 SRM G8 GXP A6 + Roof
    Go
    Vararam CAI
    VMS "Stealth" Dyno Tune
    VMS HSRK
    GTPprix's hacked Atari gauges
    Norris Motorsports Billet Oil Catch Can
    Radical Advantage Trans dipstick
    Blendimount and Invisicord for the V-1
    Doug Thorley LT's

Show
    Tint by Spade Kreations 35% & 20%
    Holden V-6 rad cover courtesy of Crazy Paul
    PB
    12.986 @ 108.78
    R.I.P. Charlie......FUCK Cancer!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

might want to ask for the "born on" date before ordering, make sure your not getting 4 yr old batteries.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green