Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonky steering wheel buttons

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wonky steering wheel buttons

Yesterday I was pulling up to the gas pump, and as I was turning the wheel, the radio switched presets. I didn't think I'd scrolled the wheel, but assumed I did it on accident. When I got back in and started the car, none of the buttons/wheels worked. After a few ignition cycles, most of them work. The left wheel will not scroll the DIC or anything on the radio and it will only click/select things in the DIC. It will not click/select anything with the radio.

Does this have anything to do with the clockspring?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't think it is the clock spring since you can talk with the DIC.
    The steering wheel buttons plug directly into the instrument cluster harness, the cluster harness then passes the info on the GM LAN line to the radio. So the commands are getting interrupted between the radio and IC IMO.
    -Greg
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

But the left scroll won't scroll the DIC either.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Oh missed that part.
    Could be the switch then not the spring. I'm pretty sure the switches just work on different resistances. I would start there first since that is the least expensive option.

Circuit/System Testing
     1. Ignition OFF and all vehicle systems OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the steering wheel switch assembly. It may take up to 2 minutes for all vehicle systems to power down.
     2. Test for less than 5 Ω between the low reference circuit terminal 5 and ground.
    ⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the IPC.
     3. Ignition ON, test for 4.8–5.2 volts between the signal circuit terminal 6 and ground.
    ⇒ If less than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the IPC.
    ⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the IPC.
     4. Ignition OFF and all vehicle systems OFF. It may take up to 2 minutes for all vehicle systems to power down.
     5. Test for less than 10 Ω between the steering wheel switch ground terminal 7 and ground.
    ⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the steering wheel switch ground for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the steering wheel switch.
     6. Ignition ON, test for 4.8–5.2 volts between the signal circuit terminals listed below and ground.
    ◦Right Steering Wheel Scroll 2 terminal 1.
    ◦Right Steering Wheel Scroll 1 terminal 2.
    ◦Left Steering Wheel Scroll 1 terminal 3.
    ◦Left Steering Wheel Scroll 2 terminal 4.
    ⇒ If less than the specified range, test the appropriate signal circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the IPC.
    ⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the appropriate signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the IPC.
     7. If all circuits test normal, replace the steering wheel control switch assembly.
    Component Testing
     1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the steering wheel switch assembly.
     2. Test for 0.5-O.L. Ω between the scroll wheel terminals listed below, while rotating each steering wheel scroll wheel several times through its full range of motion.
    ◦Right steering wheel scroll wheel terminal 1 and terminal 2.
    ◦Left steering wheel scroll wheel terminal 3 and terminal 4.
    ⇒ If not within the specified range or is erratic, replace the steering wheel switch.
     3. Test the resistance between the signal terminal 6 and the low reference terminal 5 while depressing the appropriate steering wheel controls switch button listed below.
    ⇒ If not the specified value, replace the steering wheel switch.
    Last edited by Greg@PacePerformance; 06-11-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq

5. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

The weirder thing is that a new steering wheel arrived yesterday. Doesn't the wheel have to come off to replace the switch(s)?

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

yes it does
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

On the way home from work today, it suddenly started working right as I fiddled with it. Then 10 minutes later the station preset changed on its own as I turned and the left wheel stopped working again in any way. Some more fiddling and it went back to clicking but not scrolling.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg, can you supply the buttons? 92217697 is the part number. I tried to order from GMPD, their price was $88.54. But they cancelled the order because "Part Number 92217697: Cancelled (1295 Canceled, We are not able to supply this item. GM only offers this as a replacement radio for vehicles that were manufactured with this radio in cases of fire, crash, or theft with proper documentation. ) "

That doesn't make any sense. I can buy a steering wheel, the plastic cover pieces, maybe even the air bag. Why would I need a special process just to order a button module? The non-leather buttons don't appear to have this restriction.

I'd rather not crash, burn, or have my car stolen just to get these buttons fixed.

There's even black aftermarket ones that I can get at any time. But I want the silver that I already have. I wonder if I can swap internals?
    Last edited by J Wikoff; 06-12-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a used set from a member. It may be a while before I have the time to swap them in. My fingers are crossed till then.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I swapped the buttons today. I got no love. What other possibilities are there?

Winter-wear: