Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: front strut mount question

Post Thanks / Like

Default front strut mount question

I know this has been asked several times already but the top of the strut mount on my G8 has separated on both sides. I’ve read on FB and still don’t understand why these separate to start with? Mine is an 09 GT with 9,620 miles on the clock & 100% stock. I could understand if it had like 100k.. thanks...
    1979 Camaro Berlinetta Camel Metallic
    2003 Monte Carlo SS Victory Red
    1992 Towncar Signature Series Gray Metallic
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Crap design that was meant for a small V6 Opel. It's fixable. Either buy stock like items from www.gtogtta.com or get some long wearing (yet stiffer) units from BMR or Whiteline. Maryland speed stocks the whiteline, Kollar has some and of course BMR has some.

Miles aren't really that important.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I changed mine to poly bushings around 8500 miles. When you say separate, I take it you mean a gap is growing under the disks with rubber edging at the top of the struts. This the visible symptom that the oem rubber bushing underneath is crushing resulting in the strut rod moving up lifting the disk (actually your car is moving down).

The rubber bushing isn't strong enough and it is getting crushed. It is also results in a lot of sideways motion at the top of the strut assembly. Not good for alignment. Polyethylene is a much stronger material than rubber, holds up much better and there are several after market suppliers of poly bushings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Crap design that was meant for a small V6 Opel. It's fixable. Either buy stock like items from www.gtogtta.com or get some long wearing (yet stiffer) units from BMR or Whiteline. Maryland speed stocks the whiteline, Kollar has some and of course BMR has some.

Miles aren't really that important.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    I changed mine to poly bushings around 8500 miles. When you say separate, I take it you mean a gap is growing under the disks with rubber edging at the top of the struts. This the visible symptom that the oem rubber bushing underneath is crushing resulting in the strut rod moving up lifting the disk (actually your car is moving down).

The rubber bushing isn't strong enough and it is getting crushed. It is also results in a lot of sideways motion at the top of the strut assembly. Not good for alignment. Polyethylene is a much stronger material than rubber, holds up much better and there are several after market suppliers of poly bushings.

thanks guys, as long as I drive the car at slower speeds like 55 & under and don't put more than a couple hundred miles on it is it ok to be driven till I can come up with the $$? WhatNext yeah the gap under the disk.. thanks again...

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can drive it a couple hundred miles. Some have been driving thousands of miles with crushed bushings. The steering precision is gone and some clunking may result.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that the topic comes up, has anyone tried the Polylast mounts from SuperPro?
    ________________ _
    '08 G8... Panther Black
    Premium & Sport Pkg.- 7/08

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLKG8 View Post
    Now that the topic comes up, has anyone tried the Polylast mounts from SuperPro?
    And the advantage would be durability? Also how firm would the car ride? I want a replacement that’s going to last but at the same time don’t want a harsh ride. Thanks for the reply..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Freeman View Post
    And the advantage would be durability? Also how firm would the car ride? I want a replacement that’s going to last but at the same time don’t want a harsh ride. Thanks for the reply..
    I haven't used them, but just like you im looking for something better but that won't make it ride much harsher. Here's a video i seen regarding the superpro polyelast.
    ________________ _
    '08 G8... Panther Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLKG8 View Post
    I haven't used them, but just like you im looking for something better but that won't make it ride much harsher. Here's a video i seen regarding the superpro polyelast.
    Says that they should be cheaper then the poly, wish that were true

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8eraid View Post
    Says that they should be cheaper then the poly, wish that were true

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I seen them for $180 including bearings.
    ________________ _
    '08 G8... Panther Black