Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Brake job

Great Lakes Moderator BlueJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumped the gun and got the front brakes done tonight. Everything went smoothly other then trying to lean how to use the clamp with the dial indicator and the fact that I forgot that my only open ended lungs were in the top of the garage above the G8. I already had the drive side apart so I was not going to move the car. Had to be real careful no to fall on the car or drop anything on it.

I only took the car out to bed the brakes, but I could defiantly feel an improvement in stopping power. Also the new brakes seem to have fixed the last of my vibration issues that I have been having.

Last edited by BlueJacket; 05-28-2015 at 05:48 PM.

2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT
    2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

2. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes Chewy, MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must of been fun crawling above the G8 LOL.. that sucks when you forget something like that and say oh shit ..done that many times myself.

Glad it worked out for you. BTW ..What clamp are you mentioning?
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

This is the dial and clamp set I have.

image.jpg

2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

Post Thanks / Like

Nice set!

I didn't even think about that ..The last time my buddy came over and brought his ..maybe its time I get my own

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was $33.00 at Harbor Freight. They have a 20% off coupon on their site right now. They also had a coupon last week for any size torque wrench for $11.99. I picked up a 1/4" and 1/2" wrench.

7. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJacket View Post
    I think it was $33.00 at Harbor Freight. They have a 20% off coupon on their site right now. They also had a coupon last week for any size torque wrench for $11.99. I picked up a 1/4" and 1/2" wrench.
    LMAO .. I was just on their site because they emailed me a new catalog and coupon today.

I took advantage of their torque wrench sale a couple weeks ago. Ended up getting all 3

Post Thanks / Like

I have to be careful when I step foot in that store. I still prefer name brand for some tools but they have a ton of tools that I might only used a few times that are so cheap it's just to hard to pass up.

10. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJacket View Post
    I have to be careful when I step foot in that store. I still prefer name brand for some tools but they have a ton of tools that I might only used a few times that are so cheap it's just to hard to pass up.
    Agree .. My wife rolls her eyes when I tell her Im going their with one of my buddies. We always walk out with something ..Like you said.. they have so much for cheap.
    Im picky when it comes to certain tools ..Some need to be higher quality instead of Chinese shit.

I look at it like this.. If I pay 20 bucks for something that's normally 80 somewhere else and it lasts only 2 years.. I got my moneys worth.
    Last edited by MongosG8; 05-29-2015 at 05:05 AM.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless a tool has no moving parts, like a crow bar, I don't touch the HF stuff. Because how it works/feels when using it would bother me. But I did get a plain dial indicator from HF for checking rotor runout. Mounted it on a stick and clamp it in a vise sitting on the floor. That set with the clamp and arm looks good.

Had my front tires off for PPV struts and checked the rotors for runout before putting the wheels back on because of some minor shit in the brake pedal that goes away under heavier but normal braking. Dang the factory rotors are warping again!

Those DBAs look real good!
    Last edited by WhatNext; 05-28-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a corded electric impact driver from them about 15 or so years ago and still have and use it. For the little that I use it, it's been AWESOME! I think it was less than 50 bucks too!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!