Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are PPV Shocks better than FE3's?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Are PPV Shocks better than FE3's?

Or at least that's what we all hope, right.

But we will never know without running them through a shock dyno. Thankfully another forum member has graciously offered one for just this case. Now, I just need some shocks to test.

So, if you have a new, or VERY nearly new, rear Fe2, Fe3 or PPV shock to lend we will run it through a shock dyno and post the results for all to argue over . Any shocks lent for testing will of course be returned. Dyno plots and comparisons of the shocks will be posted here for all to see and compare. Due to the shock dyno, using rear shocks is much easier.

I am also looking for some forum members to offer up some worn out shocks or struts for some destructive testing. Obviously these won't be returned, in one piece anyways . Detailed pictures will be taken, internal and external parts meticulously measured, and of course everything posted right here for all to see. I'm hardly Shakespeare, but I pack a mean DSLR and can do my own for technical reports

Of course other shocks could be tested as well. I will be contacting Koni to see if they are willing to offer a set of shocks for comparison.
    2009.1 GT Sport in MGM.

All stock, but looking to change that.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoot, had my PPVs for over a month but the rears are going in tomorrow.

I'm gonna guess the PPVs are very similar to Fe3. Why spend corporate resources changing a design? So I'm betting the PPV are just repackaged Fe3. (Just saw on the other board an insiders view of the PPV design development process)

But this is great and a testament to the spirit of the G8 forums.
    Last edited by WhatNext; 05-13-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me see if I can track down a new rear FE3 that was damaged slightly in shipping.

I might also have an old FE3 rear you could take apart. I mistakenly snapped the stud off the top during a spring install. It only had about 20K miles.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

What next, you could be right, however with the PPV being the longer version of our car and having a higher spring rate they may have changed the dampening properties.

Greg, that would be fantastic. I'm assuming the damaged one is able to be used in a shock dyno?
    2009.1 GT Sport in MGM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comments on the PPV shocks. It looks as if there was a shock change in 2012 for the PPV.
    www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31
    2009.1 GT Sport in MGM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoman002 View Post
    What next, you could be right, however with the PPV being the longer version of our car and having a higher spring rate they may have changed the dampening properties.

Greg, that would be fantastic. I'm assuming the damaged one is able to be used in a shock dyno?
    Yea just the metal cap on the strut popped off. Should work just find on the dyno.
    I just need to track it down here. I'm not sure if it got tossed or returned, or if it is still here somewhere.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

I took off my GT (Fe2?) rear shocks at 5141 miles. So I can let you test one of those if you want? Let me know.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Sub
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, sorry for the delay.

Greg and Kermit, I would love if you could provide those shocks. I will contact the shock dyno provider to ensure we can get testing done before any shipping takes place, but if you could provide those I think we would have a good start.

That still leaves us needing a PPV shock to test to compare against. Now, I think mine will be getting PPV shocks in the future (the price point between fe3 and Koni wasn't much, but its a lot bigger between Koni and PPV). However I was not looking into putting shocks on this year. If this works out then maybe I will go buy one or PPV rears and just hold them in reserve for now (Greg, you guys selling PPV shocks?). That would also give me a fe2 to disassemble and measure.
    2009.1 GT Sport in MGM.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There's also a super duty PPV sold by Monroe USA under the gas magnum line. Tried to get the markings from someone on the other board who installed them but was too late. Might as well puts these on the list too to have dyno'd.