Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things to do before alignment?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Things to do before alignment?

I just purchased the car and will be putting a set of tires on it later this week along with getting the car aligned. I plan to do whatever suspension upgrades I can that will allow for an improvement in both a straight line and in corners. What are the upgrades that are within my requirements that need an alignment after installed?
    Last edited by FCNFST; 04-28-2015 at 05:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the suspension upgrade sticky. Changing most of the bushings, any of the arms, or shocks/struts requires an alignment
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff in there. I've been meaning to read it, but have just been soo busy at work and home with a million different things.
    I'm thinking about just throwing the tires on without an alignment so I have enough time to get and install everything suspension wise, then perform the alignment.
    The tires seem to be wearing pretty evenly now, so I should be able to get away with it. Thoughts?

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If your current tires are wearing evenly, then mount the new ones without a new alignment, no problemo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote from one of the more reputable shops around town:

Thoughts?
    Last edited by FCNFST; 04-30-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to go ahead and order the rear cradle bushings or bushing inserts, but I'm not sure which I should go with...I can't seem to find a lot on the bushings vs the inserts.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What I've read on replacing rear cradle bushings vs just installing the inserts, is that the bushing replacement, while stiffer and giving more control, do introduce a noticeable amount of harshness and are geared for road track duty. The inserts result in a significant improvement in rear cradle control without the harshness.

8. Likes Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WT^^ is right! The inserts do an amazing job of settling the back end AND they're not nearly as time consuming to install. Doing the inserts does NOT necessitate an alignment though.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    If your current tires are wearing evenly, then mount the new ones without a new alignment, no problemo.
    Looks to be a little uneven wear on the inner passenger tire. Nothing drastic though..thinking of maybe throwing the tires on tomorrow with no alignment for a week or so until I get the needed parts to do the spring, struts, bushings, etc.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    What I've read on replacing rear cradle bushings vs just installing the inserts, is that the bushing replacement, while stiffer and giving more control, do introduce a noticeable amount of harshness and are geared for road track duty. The inserts result in a significant improvement in rear cradle control without the harshness.
    This is just the response I was hoping to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    WT^^ is right! The inserts do an amazing job of settling the back end AND they're not nearly as time consuming to install. Doing the inserts does NOT necessitate an alignment though.
    Good to know! What specific item number do y'all recommend I purchase?

Also, I was going through the checklist of "How to Inspect your Front Suspension", and everything seems to be good except for the following:

Tie rods? Control arm ball joint?

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are sure it will be only a week on the new tires before fixing the cause of that inside wear, I would say that's ok. What tires you going with?

For rear cradle inserts, I will be doing BMR bk002.

So you got some play when pushing/pulling at 3 and 9. I think tie rods but what do the others say?