Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: check engine light just came on

Post Thanks / Like

Default check engine light just came on

Hi all

Never fails I'm sitting in line to get the car inspected and the check engine light came on.

Not sure if it was just the loose gas cap.

How do I check to see what it is?
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have the AutoCal from Pat G? It can scan and clear codes.

If not, just go to any auto parts store and they will scan for codes for you. Don't think they will reset them, but at least scan for the code, then you can report back here and somebody can look it up.
    2008 PBM G8GT, TVS1900, Rick Crawford blower cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Corsa Cat-back, CHenry Tuned, RotoFab, BP Catch Can, Pedders Lowered Touring Suspension w/ sway bars, CTS-V wheels, Brembos front/rear, in-dash GPS/Bluetooth, de-chromed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    Hi all

Never fails I'm sitting in line to get the car inspected and the check engine light came on.

Not sure if it was just the loose gas cap.

How do I check to see what it is?

Thats so frigging typical .. This happened to me last year when I was in line for the emission inspection. Hopefully its just simple like the gas cap.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

They cleared the code and I think it was the gas cap. Sometimes when the car gets into higher elevation in the mountains it will throw a code like the last time I was in Ruidoso, NM. The GM Store says it's typical for cars to do that that are not use to being high, lol.

The Rat passes and the check engine is off so good to go.
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.

Post Thanks / Like

The inspection looked it up and it was the gas cap and they cleared the code for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a cheap ELM327 OBDII code reader off ebay. Then you will be able to look at all sorts of info including fault codes and clear them yourself using a Smart/Android phone or Tablet connected with Bluetooth.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-E...901672&vxp=mtr

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mate hows it down under?

Post Thanks / Like

This calls for a Natty Light......
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

careful on the elm327, not all are created equal, nor work with the Torque app. When I investigated a year + ago, this one was said to be one the worked consistently with all the smartphones. Perhaps there are others now.

I can share, it has worked flawless on honda insight, G8, 04 grand prix, 2K Astro, 99 stang, 98 grand cherokee, and a few others

Caveat Emptor
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    careful on the elm327, not all are created equal, nor work with the Torque app.
    The one I got ebay last year for a few bucks works perfectly with my Android phone using the Torque app.
    For the cheap price it was worth the gamble.