Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front License Plate Mounting Options

Post Thanks / Like

KISS principle employed. Folded the edges over so it fit inside the grill height... zip tied. 5.5" is your target height in case you want to take this on.

2. Likes mjones73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I ordered and received one of these. I know you said you didn't want a retractable, but it truly is one of the best ways and can be hidden when it's unneeded.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I just got ticketed for not having a front plate mounted. I see the product you ordered. How do you like it? I've read reviews that the thing rips off at higher speeds.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got the same one. I mounted it off to the passenger side. I've got a license frame on there, too, which made it a little floppy. Knowing I'd rarely stow it, I drilled a couple holes in the backing plate and ran a zip tie through it and the lower grill to make sure it stayed up. I hadn't thought about what it would do at speed, but the zip tie should help a little. I have bumped into a curb with it once and it didn't break or deform. It just kinda shifted in the mount. I moved it back easy enough.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect I'll have to do this in Texas. I'll wait until I get a ticket though.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got mine under the passenger side (folded in under the picture) and have had it there for 5 years. No problems at all (even under high speeds/track usage) but I don't drive it daily so take that for what it's worth.
    SBM G8 GT '09 Premium + Sport
    1 of 1,111
    2010 GONE Best Stock G8 GT
    2011 GONE Best Mild Mod G8 GT & Fastest Stock G8 GT
    Mr. April 2011
    2012 GONE Best Mild Mod G8 GT

LR G8 GT '09 Premium + Sport + Sunroof
    1 of 2,717

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jzpiano View Post
    I've got mine under the passenger side (folded in under the picture) and have had it there for 5 years. No problems at all (even under high speeds/track usage) but I don't drive it daily so take that for what it's worth.
    Is that bolted underneath the front bumper/skid plate? Hard to tell but I think I can see it a tiny bit. Definitely like the idea, but if it falls off or someone decides to take it you might not notice until it's too late. Also not sure how much that would help in a state that requires front plates... But some that do require them are much more lenient then other states.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8eraid View Post
    Is that bolted underneath the front bumper/skid plate? Hard to tell but I think I can see it a tiny bit. Definitely like the idea, but if it falls off or someone decides to take it you might not notice until it's too late. Also not sure how much that would help in a state that requires front plates... But some that do require them are much more lenient then other states.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Yeah bolted on the front bumper. I'm in IL which requires it. Never had an issue with cops or catching on anything, even while driving with it folded down at times. I figure if I get pulled over if it's down I can just claim I forgot to put it up coming from a show

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
    1 of 1,111
    Mr. April 2011

1 of 2,717

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! I've got a blue G8 GT also. Any chance you have a part number for your hideaway plate mount? Or is it the one I posted above?:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saxophoman View Post
    Looks good! I've got a blue G8 GT also. Any chance you have a part number for your hideaway plate mount? Or is it the one I posted above?:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I ordered it about 7 years ago so no idea numbers but the one on Amazon looks the same.

1 of 1,111
    Mr. April 2011

1 of 2,717

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered it about 7 years ago so no idea numbers but the one on Amazon looks the same.

Thanks!