Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaker Advice

So I've been reading thread after thread about which speakers to use. I think all I've done was add more options and make the decision actually tougher. Some of the threads are a bit dated as well. So I wanted to ask now, what would you suggest I buy? The Polks seem to get a ton of love here and in general. I listen to mostly hip hop, but am not trying to win any sound competitions. If I'm looking in the $150-$250 range for the front and rear door speakers, should I go with the Polks?

Post Thanks / Like

The factory radio/speakers are 2 ohm units, preferably you'd want to stay with those. 4 ohm will work but it will cut down your volume some.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks. 4 ohm wont be a problem with an amp, correct?

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejm41 View Post
    OK thanks. 4 ohm wont be a problem with an amp, correct?
    No, 4 ohms is the standard usually for car systems, it's when you go lower you need to make sure the amp can handle it.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Executor999 View Post
    Thanks! Saw the second 2 but somehow missed the first.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using THESE. I have no complaints about them. They're 2 ohm and I'm not running an amp. Just replaced the factory door speakers with these. There's no distortion whatsoever and they really scream at higher volume.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
    I'm using THESE. I have no complaints about them. They're 2 ohm and I'm not running an amp. Just replaced the factory door speakers with these. There's no distortion whatsoever and they really scream at higher volume.
    I have those as potential options too! Did you use these in all 4 doors or did you put components up front?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejm41 View Post
    I have those as potential options too! Did you use these in all 4 doors or did you put components up front?
    I used them in all four doors.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Post Thanks / Like

If you want speakers to fit within the factory mounts with the water deflectors (there's a lot of water POURING into the doors), you'll need to go with a speaker with less than a 133mm or 5.25" cutout. If you were looking for a higher end (more expensive) true to 6.5” size speakers, there's not many,, actually hardly any that will fit the stock mount. However, there are a number of popular so called 6.5” speakers that will work within or close to your budget, like the Polk Audio MMs and Dbs, JL Audio C3-600, and the Infinity Kappa 60.11cs and JBL P660c speakers - to name a few. As said you can run 4-ohm speakers in place of the stock 2-ohm speakers and they'll work fine, just be sure you go with a speaker with a cutout diameter less than 133mm/5.25" for a "bolt in".
    Last edited by Silver09GT; 03-29-2015 at 07:29 AM.