Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Harmonic balancer help and info needed

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Harmonic balancer help and info needed

Noticed when I lifted the hood the serp belt had run over half off the tensioner pulley, had a spare new tensioner and fitted, on start up I noticed the harmonic balancer / crank pulley had the dreaded wobble. Probably about 2mm run out on tick over, I need to replace the HB would you suggest a standard pulley again of perhaps an ATI or other brand?
    I live in the UK so these items are very hard to get and looks like my local dealer can get an ATI In about 2 months at a cost of £510 = $760 and a standard one in 4 weeks at £200 = $300

Is the best procedure getting the bolt undone is using a very robust electric nut gun or air gun and I take it using these should eliminate having to lock the fly wheel ?

Any other suggestions removal and help in getting one sooner I would appreciate it

Regards Mick

Post Thanks / Like

Mick, the tool to lock the flywheel is expensive but worth it in the end. You will need a very good impact to loosen the HB bolt.
    You can talk to Crazy Paul, he may be able to get items delivered to you at a lower cost then shipping through the US.
    The ATI is the most expensive one. Power Bond or SLP offer an underdrive pulley.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Ray, I have ordered a new GM pulley from Monkfish performance over here in the UK, very good company to deal with, I would let them fit the new pulley but adds £100 in fuel costs to drive toy their workshop, so going to give it a go myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Mick, the tool to lock the flywheel is expensive but worth it in the end. You will need a very good impact to loosen the HB bolt.
    You can talk to Crazy Paul, he may be able to get items delivered to you at a lower cost then shipping through the US.
    The ATI is the most expensive one. Power Bond or SLP offer an underdrive pulley.
    not really an expensive tool...
    *link removed* per forum rules, sorry staff!
    I paid $35 from this guy, works good!
    Last edited by GingerBeard Man; 03-28-2015 at 02:56 AM.

2009 GT-Rotofab~VMS tune~jba headers~solo catback~camaro wheels~slotted and drilled rotors
    SOON TO BE: Pat G cam, headwork, Manzo headers, removal of crap VMS tune.
    2004 Sierra Crew Cab-Cal Speed stainless LT~hooker aerochamber~Black Bear Performance tune~Ridetech coilovers-dropped 5.5"/8"...much more, FOR SALE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingerBeard Man View Post
    not really an expensive tool...
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...e-holders.html

I paid $35 from this guy, works good!
    I was talking about the Kent-Moore tool. That hand fabricated tool should be fine. He isn't a vendor here so I would never post a link to his forum page for sale add.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, didn't know member made tools followed vendor rules. I'll edit my link. I know better as I'm on a million forums and run one myself, hard to keep up with all the different rules. My bad.

I was just giving an option, I found it randomly through Google and snagged one.

2009 GT-Rotofab~VMS tune~jba headers~solo catback~camaro wheels~slotted and drilled rotors
    SOON TO BE: Pat G cam, headwork, Manzo headers, removal of crap VMS tune.
    2004 Sierra Crew Cab-Cal Speed stainless LT~hooker aerochamber~Black Bear Performance tune~Ridetech coilovers-dropped 5.5"/8"...much more, FOR SALE

Post Thanks / Like

It's an option. I didn't intend to be snippy if you were thinking that. I was lucky enough to borrow the Kent Moore.

EDIT:

It was never my intention to prevent any links to a fabricated tool. This is a tool, not a vendors specific item. You can place your link back in your post..
    Last edited by -Ray-; 03-29-2015 at 02:03 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT