Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Harmonic balancer help and info needed

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Harmonic balancer help and info needed

Noticed when I lifted the hood the serp belt had run over half off the tensioner pulley, had a spare new tensioner and fitted, on start up I noticed the harmonic balancer / crank pulley had the dreaded wobble. Probably about 2mm run out on tick over, I need to replace the HB would you suggest a standard pulley again of perhaps an ATI or other brand?
    I live in the UK so these items are very hard to get and looks like my local dealer can get an ATI In about 2 months at a cost of 510 = $760 and a standard one in 4 weeks at 200 = $300

Is the best procedure getting the bolt undone is using a very robust electric nut gun or air gun and I take it using these should eliminate having to lock the fly wheel ?

Any other suggestions removal and help in getting one sooner I would appreciate it

Regards Mick

Post Thanks / Like

Mick, the tool to lock the flywheel is expensive but worth it in the end. You will need a very good impact to loosen the HB bolt.
    You can talk to Crazy Paul, he may be able to get items delivered to you at a lower cost then shipping through the US.
    The ATI is the most expensive one. Power Bond or SLP offer an underdrive pulley.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

BMR, Brembo, Circle D, Comp Cams, Crazy Paul's Holden parts,
    Gforce axles, GRRRR8.net SS bolt kit and heater hoses, LandSpeed Development,
    Livernois, Lunati, Pedders, White auto media
    Under more construction.

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Ray, I have ordered a new GM pulley from Monkfish performance over here in the UK, very good company to deal with, I would let them fit the new pulley but adds 100 in fuel costs to drive toy their workshop, so going to give it a go myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Mick, the tool to lock the flywheel is expensive but worth it in the end. You will need a very good impact to loosen the HB bolt.
    You can talk to Crazy Paul, he may be able to get items delivered to you at a lower cost then shipping through the US.
    The ATI is the most expensive one. Power Bond or SLP offer an underdrive pulley.
    not really an expensive tool...
    *link removed* per forum rules, sorry staff!
    I paid $35 from this guy, works good!
    Last edited by GingerBeard Man; 03-28-2015 at 02:56 AM.

2009 GT-Rotofab~VMS tune~jba headers~solo catback~camaro wheels~slotted and drilled rotors
    SOON TO BE: Pat G cam, headwork, Manzo headers, removal of crap VMS tune.
    2004 Sierra Crew Cab-Cal Speed stainless LT~hooker aerochamber~Black Bear Performance tune~Ridetech coilovers-dropped 5.5"/8"...much more, FOR SALE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingerBeard Man View Post
    not really an expensive tool...
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...e-holders.html

I paid $35 from this guy, works good!
    I was talking about the Kent-Moore tool. That hand fabricated tool should be fine. He isn't a vendor here so I would never post a link to his forum page for sale add.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Under more construction.

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, didn't know member made tools followed vendor rules. I'll edit my link. I know better as I'm on a million forums and run one myself, hard to keep up with all the different rules. My bad.

I was just giving an option, I found it randomly through Google and snagged one.

2009 GT-Rotofab~VMS tune~jba headers~solo catback~camaro wheels~slotted and drilled rotors
    SOON TO BE: Pat G cam, headwork, Manzo headers, removal of crap VMS tune.
    2004 Sierra Crew Cab-Cal Speed stainless LT~hooker aerochamber~Black Bear Performance tune~Ridetech coilovers-dropped 5.5"/8"...much more, FOR SALE

Post Thanks / Like

It's an option. I didn't intend to be snippy if you were thinking that. I was lucky enough to borrow the Kent Moore.

EDIT:

It was never my intention to prevent any links to a fabricated tool. This is a tool, not a vendors specific item. You can place your link back in your post..
    Last edited by -Ray-; 03-29-2015 at 02:03 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Under more construction.

Just a GT