Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Coolant Flush and fill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coolant Flush and fill

Since apparently my Google fu sucks or something.

Has anyone on here flushed the cooling system of their car - themselves.

or

Does anyone have the Shop Manual Procedures for flushing the cooling system?

I was about to do so - but have never done this on an LS car, or the G8.

I know there's a drain at the bottom - which is awesome. but do I need to worry about getting air in the system on refill?

I've seen a few different things that don't make much sense - like you have to pull of a special line, or you must put the car on ramps etc.

what's the shop manual say?

Post Thanks / Like

I attached a PDF of the service manual procedure to this post. I haven't flushed the cooling system but I did drain the radiator and heater hoses when I installed the supercharger. Didn't do anything fancy, just pulled the plug from the bottom to drain it and then filled it back up from the top when I was done. Didn't have any issues with air.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

3. Likes Thechad703 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you good sir.

what is the flushing gun?
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, but I assume something like this: http://www.gates.com/products/automo...ean-flush-tool
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to drain and flush my GT, when I attempted to remove the blue drain plug, it snapped in half. Now not only do I have to try to remove it without seeing any feasible way. I thought about attempting to use an "easy out" or just drill it out. But I'm having a problem locating another plug? I've searched everywhere trying to locate one. GM Parts Direct, Rock Auto, eBay, etc. Can't find one anywhere. Any advice out there?
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.

Post Thanks / Like

OH wow. did it crack in 3 or 4 small pieces. did they come out and could you glue it back.

Not for install but for measurement. There is bound to be some metric pipe plug that is that same diameter and thread. I have no idea what it is. do any of the part description pages mention any specifics. One issue I would be wary of - I think it threads into the plastic end cap so whatever you do replace it with, if not also plastic you need to be wary of the torque when you put it in.

Sorry. If I find something else soon I'll post back - not to surprised you can't find one. OH what does the 2010-2014 camaro use, and what does the Chevy SS have, or the PPV. Might try searching for different cars to see if you get a different answer.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find just the plug either - or even just the plug as a part number might be worth taking the radiator out and finding a local radiator repair place.

They might can fix it easily or even know the plug to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I had taken the plug out to drain the radiator and flush and refill. When I started screwing the blue drain plug in, at about half-way in I used a screw driver to finish putting in the rest of the way. That's when the head of the plug cracked off. Now I'm wary of getting out, and not being able to locate another one to replace it with. Since it screws in flush with the bottom of the radiator, I don't know if the base of the radiator in plastic or metal.
    I'm sure if I take the radiator out and went to a radiator repair shop like you suggested, they would likely be able to do something. But the car is my daily driver and I would rather keep trying to find another plug, preferably metal.
    I'll just keep searching. It's pretty damn cold here in the Chicagoland area, and my garage is not heated.
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it I do. My car is my daily also. I can't find anywhere that lists that part specifically but I wonder if it's a naming thing. I keep looking at the radiator and cooling systems but I wonder if the part is considered a body part.

anyway it is plastic and I suspect for a reason so I would want to go back in as plastic. I would not get something in brass for this. SS maybe.

I looked at buying a new radiator - amazingly you can find those and they don't cost a fortune. Might try calling the parts counters of some chevy dealers in the area and asking about the plug for a Chevy ss or camaro. as I bet it's the same. Specifically the Chevy SS. They might have an easier time of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are in Chicago, the service/parts guys at Sullivan Pontiac (now Buick/GMC) are really good and love the G8. If you get stuck you might give them a call and tell them a “first 888” sent you. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    PBM #608 of 888 -- All Stock!