Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Stock shock/strut longevity?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock shock/strut longevity?

At what kind of mileage are you guys finding that the stock struts and shocks need to be replaced?

Post Thanks / Like

My GM rear socks were shot at less than 35k miles. Look closely at the struts, check for leaking etc..
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

I'm at 25k and they are getting marginal for a sport sedan. Notice it most when the weather gets hot and on large amplitude stuff like speed bumps. I would say I can get away still using the originals but I'm finally dialing the G8 in so they have to go. The G8 deserves better.

Ray noted above that his rears were shot at 35K and mine are weakening at 25K, so mine are on the same track as Ray's.

Going with Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3, PPV struts/shocks, Carbotech pads and rear cradle inserts. The PPVs are $250 shipped from Amazon. Thats like $100 less than a set of Fe3.

Using PPV struts and shocks on the G8 was kicked around on the other board and 2 or 3 have installed them already. A couple others, including myself, have ordered them.
    Last edited by WhatNext; 03-15-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the difference between FE3 and PPV?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No shock dyno curves available unfortunately. The op on the other board had Fe3 a couple years earlier (on another G8) and the G8 he installed the PPVs on has lowering springs so no direct butt dyno comparison either.

Posted photos show the PPV have metal caps vs plastic for Fe3. Collapsed stroke seems to be the same but PPV diameters appear/said to be larger which is good for hydraulic action.

Post Thanks / Like

Ours has 41k. It's the wife's car so I don't drive it much, but when doing so the other day, it felt like rebound was a little sloppy. Using the old push test reveals the fronts to be tight, but minor floppage in the rear. My experience with other vehicles has been that stock shocks typically last 40-60k, with Hondas being significantly worse than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Interested in the PPV details. Was just about ready to order the fe3 package.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Search for PPV on the other board. 2 forums talk about them, one is PPV struts and the other is Fe3 GXP.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed mine after 120,000 miles and they were gone well before that, I put the FE3's on with Eibachs lowering springs
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

problem with pegging a time or mileage is that wear isn't constant.

highway vs city - smooth pretty roads in parts of the southeast, crappy cracked broken up roads in parts of the northeast. etc etc.

normally 50-75K is a target. if you drive with people or extra stuff in the car, cut those numbers down - if you do alot of highway driving maybe kick them up a touch.

one good check is always look for leaking oil down the side - even in gas pressurized ones like the FE3's.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes