Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Used 2009 Cobalt SS Sedan Buy or New 2015 Fiesta ST Lease

Post Thanks / Like

Default Used 2009 Cobalt SS Sedan Buy or New 2015 Fiesta ST Lease

I'm itching for a manual transmission car. I really want to row my own again.

I've been looking for a low cost toy to add to the toy I already have in the garage (the G8).

So I've been nosing around and last night came across a 2009 Cobalt SS sedan for sale at a local dealer with a very good reputation.

The Good:

• Only 474 SS sedans ever built, they are generally considered collectible
    • Imperial Blue - rarest color of the 2009 run, only 205 Cobalts SS got this color
    • Below TrueCar FMV price by $2K
    • Dealer it is at has a great reputation
    • Average miles for the period

The Bad:

• Two owner car in its' relatively short life
    • Owner number two got in two accidents in the car according to CarFax, no air bag deploy
    • Point two above kind of kills any possibility of it being a garage queen collectible
    • Auto insurance is bat shit crazy expensive

So for what I would put down, USAA used car loan rates, I could buy it at a great price (probably beat the dealer up on the CarFax history for a better price) and have a payment of around $225 a month and maybe put $2.5K of my money on the table.

But that got me thinking, for that kind of money, could I get something else. I mean if I'm in for that what else could I get. I discovered that a 2015 Ford Fiesta ST on a lease, equipped the way I want, would be about -- $225 a month and about $2.5K of money on the table to drive out.

The Good:

• Brand new car with a fully warranty
    • Ford Fiestas aren't selling well, could probably get an even better deal
    • It doesn't have a Jesus Christ what were they thinking cheap interior

The Bad:

• Neither of these are practical cars, but I hear the Fiesta is really cramped with a useless backseat
    • At the end of the lease, the money is gone gone gone - I basically rented a car
    • I can't do any customization at all, lease companies don't like that

I'm looking for a low cost pocket rocket -- and well, I'm now kicking around between these two. The Cobalt has a seriously stealthy quality about it in sedan trim. A blood thirsty wolf in sheep's clothing. I have read over and over again how it is one of the best handling wrong wheel drive cars every built. It also would be more roomy than the Fiesta, and the trunk is just under 14 cubic feet.

The Fiesta ST on the other hand is supposed to also be insanely fun to drive. Probably the best B-segment car in the fun department money can buy. There is the added benefit of a 100% new car - I'm not buying known problems. I'll never hit the lease limit of 21K miles in two years, I might drive it 12K over 24 months. The idea, even though I'll shred $6K to $7K over two years that it's done and I give it back, is kind of appealing.

Thoughts?

I'm going to look at the Cobalt tomorrow - could probably squeeze in driving a Fiesta ST tomorrow also.
    Last edited by Seattle09GT; 03-05-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmmmm....
    An 09 with "average miles", been hit, and even though from a dealer with a good rep. If you buy it, you know you're gonna mod it and that will cost you more. We all know what we get out of mods when we sell.

A new unit, new technology, full warranty you can drive like you stole, no resale worries you just give it back. Might even come with free oil changes.

Same money, basically, except for insurance, etc.

May just be the best dealer in the world, but they didn't own, maintain, or drive it
    I like door number 2, but I'm conservative.
    Last edited by tchr49; 03-06-2015 at 03:04 AM.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How tall are you? I had a Fiesta for a rental and my knee was completely against the dash with the seat all the way back. Way too small. I find the Focus to be comfortable. I am about 6'1".
    Last edited by TooManyHobbies; 03-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

The Cobalt SS turbo has to have a LSD or you'll have traction issues, you'll just smoke the right front without it.
    My G5 GT turbo'd does not have LSD and 11 psi is pretty much useless from a dig, without slicks.
    But I do love the fun times in that car, can smoke a lot of unsuspecting vehicles on the road !
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
    @ 4200' in the sky !
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
    towing stuff with cars is cool !

Post Thanks / Like

St is prob a nicer car but I am personally a fan of what those balt turbo can do with bolt ons and a tune...plus they get good mpg if you have any freeway driving

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Yep, I can get 45 mpg highway with cruise set between 65-70.
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
    @ 4200' in the sky !
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
    towing stuff with cars is cool !

Post Thanks / Like

No one buys a Fiesta to seat 4 people. However, I've had 4 in mine and 2 of them were over 250 lbs. I had almost 1000 lbs in the car and had no problem rowing the gears, and it's not a turbo.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally the Fiesta ST. Know 2 people with one and they love them. Go for green it's the same as gotta have it green on the Mustang. I had a friend in NY that had nothing but issues with his turbo SS.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to be into a lease.
    I would get a Subaru if I was to get a cheap extra car. There are some good wrx's for around $5k. Then you'll end up putting money into it to make it more fun.
    But I live in the snow and the awd would be great. Plus I wouldn't have to add to the 235k miles on my truck.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the cobalt being a sport sedan fan myself. Almost 300hp vs whatever the Fiesta brings to the table...
    2008 g8 - k&n intake,
    pacesetters 1 3/4 LT's
    285/40r18 nitto N05 DR's
    TSP 231/236 112lsa
    2800 stall
    ??? rwhp/ ??? lbs tq
    best 1/4 time: 12.19 @ 113 1.9 60ft