Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Chronic toe-out?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chronic toe-out?

My 09 is constantly, slowly, going toe-out. I have to get an alignment once or twice every year, averaging ~8800 miles a year, and it's always toe'd out in the front. Is there a particular issue that would cause that? I think it's usually the front right that goes wonky. A certain bushing, bolt loosening, something? It's always done this. Every time I took it in to the dealer under warranty I complained. They always aligned it for free, but would not look into it. All my other cars have always seemed to be rock solid with their alignment, so I don't think it's my driving patterns.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Either parts are worn out or the lock nut is backing off the outer tie rod adjustment, that's all it can really be. I'd find a competent suspension shop in your area and have it checked out since the dealer isn't doing much for you.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

What parts could be worn that would cause it?

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Steering end links!

Replace yourself with MOOG and bring in for alignment. You can count the number of turns coming off and repeat with re-install to get them close.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

The inner tie rods can go bad eventually too, I don't know how durable they are on these cars yet. It's probably in the steps to check your suspension above but if you jack the car up, grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and shake it back and forth, you'll feel any play in the tie rods if it's there.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Post Thanks / Like

Could be a bushing issue, ball joint issue, or a number of other things.

do you have a before and after print out you can post?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the specs from the last three spring alignments. I couldn't find the two fall alignments that I thought I filed with these.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts?

Another thing that may be related. When I was putting on the summer wheels a couple weeks ago I noticed that that the wheels would move like some bushing was flexing when I torqued on a lugnut. It was a rubbery feel and they popped back into place when I released.

Winter-wear: