Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Drag radial question- How far is too far to drive

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drag radial question- How far is too far to drive

I'm looking into getting a set of back wheels/tires to use for drags. Most of the races around me are around 250 mile round trip. Is this asking for trouble or is this exactly what they're to be used for? I don't plan on driving on them every day just back and forth to the races.- Also what's the stickiest tire you can run with rear brembo's?
    2009 MGM G8 GT
    TVS 1900 with 2.8" pulley/ Lonnies Performance 60lb injectors/ ZL1 Fuel Pump/ Patrick G Spec'd DOD delete Cam/ Comp Cams Trunnion Upgrade/ Melling 10296 Oil Pump/ Patrick G Tune/ Long Tube Headers with Cats/ Rotofab Intake/ Earls 22500 AERL Transmission cooler with 7" fan and Thermostat / Camaro Transmission Pan/ VMR 710 Hyper Silver Staggered Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what DR you are using. Nitto DRs are the most favorable for long distance imo. But if you want the best traction, go with M&H, Hoosier, or Mickey Thompson DRs. What i do for long distance track travel is take my DRs in my trunk, along with my cordless impact gun, and small jack. Works great.
    PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster Stg 3 clutch, LSA S/C, cam, fuel system 10.81@131.9 1,836 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons 13.06@106.7, 2,200 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

2002 Bonneville SSEi- Self tune, 3.4" pulley, FWI. The beater

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about throwing them in the trunk, I just don't know if I want the hassle of trying to keep an eye on everything. I mostly go to car show type drags so there's not a lot of organization. I'm leaning towards MT ET Street II right now on a set of 18's.
    2009 MGM G8 GT
    TVS 1900 with 2.8" pulley/ Lonnies Performance 60lb injectors/ ZL1 Fuel Pump/ Patrick G Spec'd DOD delete Cam/ Comp Cams Trunnion Upgrade/ Melling 10296 Oil Pump/ Patrick G Tune/ Long Tube Headers with Cats/ Rotofab Intake/ Earls 22500 AERL Transmission cooler with 7" fan and Thermostat / Camaro Transmission Pan/ VMR 710 Hyper Silver Staggered Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Sattler View Post
    I've thought about throwing them in the trunk, I just don't know if I want the hassle of trying to keep an eye on everything. I mostly go to car show type drags so there's not a lot of organization. I'm leaning towards MT ET Street II right now on a set of 18's.
    You can chain them up to a fence post or something to keep them from walking.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I chained mine up.... I have gone alot and never had an issue..... but last time I went I had them sitting outside my car for just a bit and came back and all my stuff was gone.... 4 darkstars..... brand new hoosier slicks and brand new M&H skinnys..., my jack, all my tools...... argggggggggggg...... all it takes is one time....

and nobody covers any of it..... auto insurance wont cause your at a "track"..... and renters would cover tools but my deductible is just about the value of the tools so.... shit out of luck...
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

6. Dislikes TooManyHobbies disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
    Wish I chained mine up.... I have gone alot and never had an issue..... but last time I went I had them sitting outside my car for just a bit and came back and all my stuff was gone.... 4 darkstars..... brand new hoosier slicks and brand new M&H skinnys..., my jack, all my tools...... argggggggggggg...... all it takes is one time....

and nobody covers any of it..... auto insurance wont cause your at a "track"..... and renters would cover tools but my deductible is just about the value of the tools so.... shit out of luck...

Chuck that is terrible!!!
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

8. Likes gr8lover liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope karma causes a rod to exit the side of the block for the person who stole them.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

10. Likes gr8lover liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's terrible. I never chained mine up.
    -----------------------
    11.350 @ 118.66 / 1.57 60ft [300 DA]

RPM tune, PatG cam, FAST 102, L92 heads ported by Greg Good, Kooks 1 7/8 headers,
    RotoFab 102mm CAI, LS3 maf, UDP, JBA wires, Meziere water pump, SJM linelock,
    Circle D 3600, 3.27 diff with Truetrac, GForce HD axles, Pedders bushings, Spohn trailing arms,
    Camaro rims on the street & CCWs at the track....... SOLD

Looking for a 00-02 Camaro SS with A4

Post Thanks / Like

On my Lightning i drive it exclusively with drag radials on the street. Drove it from Detroit to a track west of Chicago for a weekend meet with no issue. My experience is the Nitto NT05R is a longer lasting tire, but the Mickey Thompson ET Street II is the superior drag radial. The MT's just don't last very long.

I would lose my mind! What track did that happen at?