Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Coilovers vs fe3 and h&r springs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coilovers vs fe3 and h&r springs

Hey everyone,

I am going to need to upgrade to new strut bushings soon so I might as well upgrade my suspension. I drive highway everyday until I take back roads from the highway to the house. Looking to get Lower. I am on the 19 sport wheels with 245/4519 fronts and 275/35/19 rears. I am trying to decide on either the BC coilovers or FE3s with H&R springs. Which will be best and will both fit with the 19s?

Post Thanks / Like

Both with fit fine.
    There are plenty oppinions out there so read other threads and install reviews on that.
    But I will say there are several people here that have went from BC coilovers to fe3 or koni. And some are guys who road track there car.
    I personally have koni and there great. I made my own adjustable setup tho. And it has one issue of bottoming out in the front due to lack of travel when lowered.
    I now have BC coilovers that I am upgrade to a koni piston and washer springs, better fluid, and much better seals if I can make them work.
    BC coilovers are OK but the seals on the car fail very easily due to the weight and mechanical advantage on the rear shock design. They were not designed for that kind of force and the rear top seal design isn't the best to start with.
    I would reccommend fe3 and springs and if you don't like them get koni inserts and rears.
    That's my opinion and it will differ from others and possibly yourself.
    I would read up on each option to better inform your decision.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the FE3 setup with FE3 stuts/shocks and it's well balanced. I am told the springs for FE3 vs regular GT are the same.
    Maggie 1900 TVS, 8 lb Pulley, Methanol Injection
    Modified Roto Fab CAI
    Coated Kook's 1 7/8" long-tubes and Kook's HFC's
    ZL1 Fuel pump upgrade, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports
    Mustang Dyno'd at 464 hp / 456 rwtq
    GXP Struts / Shocks, White Line Sway Bars
    Every Whiteline Suspension Bushing I Could Find
    ZL-1 Toe Rods
    Fuel Injector Connection Billet Tipped Injectors
    Big 3 electrical upgrade
    Intense Sound System - Alpine 8" HU, Aussie Alpine Fascia, Folcik HVAC, Focal Separates, IDMAX Sub, Amps, and tons of Dynamat!

Search for my tutorial on the Big 3 on the forums.

When the Police and the Military are looked down upon, the freedom to dissent is also in peril.
    Thank those who fight everyday to keep our freedoms alive.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigtex, If you haven't already seen this sticky: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=38041 it's a good read and explains much about all the options we have for the suspension. Google search whatever suits your fancy and you'll likely get several forum hits to explore further. You'll probably get your answers there, but BuildItYourSelf is right - suspension opinions are like assholes and elbows. Whether or not you have bushings, sways, and other supporting mods will impact things as well.
    Last edited by Leon McJones; 03-10-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference