Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear End Lube Change, Is there a substitute for the GM stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear End Lube Change, Is there a substitute for the GM stuff

Hi all,

I have my car in the shop getting worked on and thought since I have not had the rear end lube changed I asked them to change it.

the shop called and said it requires the GM lube and there is none to be had here around Fond du Lac, WI. Is there a substitute synthic with the carbon additive that can be used??
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Royal Purple. It's what I use in my g8. No modifiers needed.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

that is what I was thinking that RP made a superior fluid. So RP has the modifer in it already Ray?
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Premixed 1.06 quarts = GM 92184900

Here's the mix to make 1 litre = 1.06 quarts.

Full fill volume from bone dry is 1.25 litres = 1.32 quarts.

Last edited by Crazy Paul; 11-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul, the Good Year store called around and no GM store has any so I am going to go with the Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 if that can be had and if not they have Pennziol 75W90 syntheic and the additive in stock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    that is what I was thinking that RP made a superior fluid. So RP has the modifer in it already Ray?
    Yes.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. GM calls out a unique PN for the ZF 2.92 in the G8, label has comment about additive for carbon linings.

CP : have any insight on the delta in the Stock ZF in the G8 vs what's in the camaro (other and carbon linings)? My 3:45 does not have any indication of manufacturer.

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    I My 3:45 does not have any indication of manufacturer.
    I bet it does if you get under and have a look.

Part Number will be on a barcode label from factory.

Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct, the 2.92 has the ZF, the camaro 3.45 does not

The innards (with JRE spring):
    Last edited by jcmGT; 11-21-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am just going to let it be and since it is a full synethic and the car is all highway miles why wake a nest of angry bees when it is not necessary.

Hell on my 2004 Colorado I think it was at about 250,000 miles or so the rear end was worn out and needed to be rebuilt and was about a grand becasue a wheel seal was leaking and they thought the axles were shot or something like that but it was just a rebuild and refill and it now has over 400,000 miles and going strong, go figure!