Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Pontiac G8 Something is draining my battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontiac G8 Something is draining my battery

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, and what was the cure for it? When I tried to start my G8 two weeks ago, it was dead, and had to jump it in order to start it. I took the Battery out and replaced it with a brand new $200 battery. Went to work, and car set for 4 days. Came back to start it and it was so dead that I couldn't even get my key out of the ignition. Was told it was a short by a mechanic, but he didn't know where it was coming from, and had no time to trouble shoot it. Does anyone have any advice for me on where to start looking for this short? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you done any work what so ever prior to the first one going dead? How long did it first sit? Possibly of mice or some rodent making a new home with temps getting lower?
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Pull the negatinegative battery cable and put a test light between it and the negative terminal. A multimeter works as well, but isn't as easy.

Once you have that done you should see the light on the test light light up, or a current rating on the multimeter (your using the amp/current mode). Now just start pulling fuses one by one until the light goes out or the multimeter reads a very low number (~100ma). Doing so will show you the circuit with the drain.

Be aware that things like the overhead lights will stay on for a while after the door is shut so you need to give it a minute after opening a door. Also make sure everything is off and the doors hood and trunk are shut.
    2009.1 GT Sport in MGM.

All stock, but looking to change that.

Post Thanks / Like

I realize this is an old thread but maybe someone is still having the problem. I experienced the same issue and it turned out to be the battery in the Onstar unit. It died and the system was pulling off of the main battery even when the car wasn't running...Had to be dealer installed.