Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 10w 30 ok for L76?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10w 30 ok for L76?

I had the oil and filter changed in my 09 G8 GT yesterday and switched to Royal Purple Oil & Filter. But the shop that changed it put in 10w 30 not 5w 30. My question is will it damage the engine? It’s a garage queen with 9,600 miles on the clock and I live in Tennessee so we don’t see much cold weather here. Also almost no expressway driving.. just don’t know about the DOD… thanks
    1979 Camaro Berlinetta Camel Metallic
    2003 Monte Carlo SS Victory Red
    1992 Towncar Signature Series Gray Metallic
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Magnetic Gray Metallic

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It won't hurt anything. It is more viscous (thicker) when cold. Since you are in a southern locale, you probably won't notice a difference in cold starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    It won't hurt anything. It is more viscous (thicker) when cold. Since you are in a southern locale, you probably won't notice a difference in cold starts.
    thanks for the reply, I think the reason the shop owner recommended 10w 30 is because I have a minor oil pan gasket leak. I lived in Michigan most of my life but moved here a few years back. I remember the cold mornings we had there, we get a few overnights here where the temp drops into the teens but nothing like the minus temps back in MI.

thanks again for the info..

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Michigan! Winters are brutal up there! Man, I'd be looking for 0W30!

Just to round out the discussion, 10W30 is made from heavier stock than 5W30. So even though they have the same 30 hot rating, the 10W30 tends to run thicker when hot at the same temperature. So that's fine for the south.

That was with conventional, maybe they can better tune the cold and hot viscosities better with synthetics.
    Last edited by WhatNext; 10-26-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

it's fine - even recommended in the BOOK - IIRC for hot summer temps over 100F.

but either way - it'll be fine - the reason for the 5-30 is to get better MPG numbers. infact 10w30 is technically better overall for the engine.

and because I have to - stop using royal purple, but that's just a cost thing.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    Michigan! Winters are brutal up there! Man, I'd be looking for 0W30!

Just to round out the discussion, 10W30 is made from heavier stock than 5W30. So even though they have the same 30 hot rating, the 10W30 tends to run thicker when hot at the same temperature. So that's fine for the south.

That was with conventional, maybe they can better tune the cold and hot viscosities better with synthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    it's fine - even recommended in the BOOK - IIRC for hot summer temps over 100F.

but either way - it'll be fine - the reason for the 5-30 is to get better MPG numbers. infact 10w30 is technically better overall for the engine.

and because I have to - stop using royal purple, but that's just a cost thing.

Thanks guys just glad I won’t do any damage to my engine. I’ve had a lot of cars and I’m almost 59 my G8 is the best. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford another performance car like it. Always puts a smile on my face each time I push down on the throttle.. just a couple of days ago some young guy in a Nissan Maxima like a 4th gen was sitting even with me at a stop light with a smirk on his face. The light changed and he got in his first but then I did the same and all he saw of my G8 were taillights. I love my G8 !!

Post Thanks / Like

OH I should mention - cold starts you do run the risk of the lifters not filling quickly - with the DOD lifters.

which is another place where the 5-30 helps. however - let the engine warm up a bit before getting into it too much - shouldn't present an issue.

IE say 1 minute. I run 5-30 in mine and when the temps below 60 I do this also on those first starts of the day
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with 5w30 if you still have DOD/AFM... and agree per above, no need to waste money on Royal Purple, Mobil1 5w30 synthetic all the way - I won't run any other oil in an LS engine and have been religious about this with my G8 for 60k miles now.
    2009.5 MSM/Onyx G8 GT premium/sport/sunroof
    Wrenched and tuned by Reckart Performance Tuning in Cedar Park, TX USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    OH I should mention - cold starts you do run the risk of the lifters not filling quickly - with the DOD lifters.

which is another place where the 5-30 helps. however - let the engine warm up a bit before getting into it too much - shouldn't present an issue.

IE say 1 minute. I run 5-30 in mine and when the temps below 60 I do this also on those first starts of the day

thanks, I tend to let the car warm up for several minutes anyway. something old school I've always done.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbell2 View Post
    I'd go with 5w30 if you still have DOD/AFM... and agree per above, no need to waste money on Royal Purple, Mobil1 5w30 synthetic all the way - I won't run any other oil in an LS engine and have been religious about this with my G8 for 60k miles now.
    yeah the car is 100% stock, I would thou like to swap to a different cam sometime in the future. I have OCD when it comes to my cars I do a bit overkill, I only run Sunoco Ultra 93 in it and use Adams products to keep it clean and it never sees a wet road. Since I've had the car it has always been garage kept too. I use Mobil 1 in my 79 Camaro ( 305 ) a car I bought new and has just 12,010 miles on it.