Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Draining and filling the torque converter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draining and filling the torque converter

With my trans out of the car, I figured I'd go ahead and change the fluid in the torque converter. Is there a good procedure for this? I've done some searching around the site, but I haven't found anything definitive. I turned it upside down over a drain pan, but it doesn't seem like much fluid came out. Less than a quart for sure. I'm not sure how much, if any, drained out when it was removed from the transmission.

Is there anything special to be aware of when reinstalling the TC onto the input shaft? It pulled right off, so I was assuming it should slip right back on.

Post Thanks / Like

It will slip right back on. Just give it a slight twist as you slide it in. You will feel it engage
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

You may just need to rotate it to get as much fluid out as you can. Travis pretty much nailed reinstalling. Just push as you rotate it to the right a few times. You will feel the clunk as it engages.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    Vararam, PaceSetter, Magnaflow, Comp, Pac, Yank
    11.95 @ 116.64