Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ignition Recall - 9/2/2014

Post Thanks / Like

The info is based off of an issue I have had since 2009 when I bought the car brand new. 1st stall and shop visit was 92 miles. My car has stalled out while in the hands of 4 different dealers who could never fix it. Recently I lost power, hit the corner of the front bumper as well as taking a chunk out of my tire and screwing up alignment when there was another loss of power that locked my wheel in a parking lot making me bump a curb before getting it restarted in time. The reports read a minor accident recently with no injuries... The whole lock of the wheel, loss of power steering, lack of power brakes, are nearly word for word what I told them would happen when it would stall. I would have to throw it into neutral start it, put it in gear, and make a turn, stop, go... just in time to avoid an accident.

They said they would work on these cars, for that reason, but could not help me if it was not the ignition. (Not jumping on a bandwagon, I brought it to their attention back in 2009 with my car) I doubt it is the key though. Never a knee to key issue, but you may not want to show your cards if at fault if you were GM. They told me to keep driving the car, I told them I was putting them on notice, and that it was documented on a corporate level of which I would hold them responsible with any issues resulting from this stall issue. I have the 3 10+ minute conversations recorded, because they said things like they realize my car is dangerous, sorry they could not fix it but now its out of warranty and out of their hands. One person told me to trade it in and make it someone elses problem. Things of that nature for the corporate office staff. Less than one week later it reads that 1 minor accident results in an entire lineup recall.

Sorry if this is a problem for anyone. GM never made right on my car that I love but cannot depend on. My car has about 40,000 miles now and while under warranty spent roughly 16 months in the shop. Still keeping the same problems it went in with. I do feel that this is in direct correlation with my concerns and issues I have had with my car literally since day 1.
    Don't Hassle The Hoff!
    http://ohiorides.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167&d=1314562258

2. Thanks dmarsh1020 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2009.5 GT engine died one time like that almost immediately after making a U-turn on a pretty busy street. So of course the steering lost all power assist and I had no power brakes, but I shifted into neutral and cranked the ignition and it fired back up just fine. That happened the second year I owned the car, and it freaked me out because I've never had a car just die while driving like that before. So far, that's the only time it ever happened. It would be really scary if it happened in the middle of a turn, or around pedestrians.
    2009.5 G8 GT: White Hot/Onyx-Red, Premium + Sport + sunroof.
    Compact spare tire, Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, GRRRR8 heater hose, GRRRR8 intake bolt kit, Holden two piece engine covers.

Post Thanks / Like

The only car that I’ve ever had that just shut off was a 1996 2 door Buick Regal GS with a 3.8L V6. It went on for months. Didn’t matter if the weather or the car was cold or warm, at idle or freeway speeds it would just shut down. Never a misfire or rough idle never an indication the car had an issue. Sometimes I’d start it to let it warm up on a cold morning and come out to find it shut its self-off. Or I’d be on the freeway at 70+ MPH and all of a sudden nothing. Didn’t set a code, had it to the dealer many times, hooked it up to a Tech II and everything was fine. Finally traded it in on a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, that I still have and is my DD. I was afraid the Buick was going to stall sometime while passing on a 2 lane road or while making a left turn at an intersection. I got to the point where I would automatically put it in neutral restart and back in drive without thinking. Now I wonder if the ignition switch was bad that far back. BTW it might not happen for a month then it might do it 2 or 3 times in a week totally random.
    1979 Camaro Berlinetta Camel Metallic
    2003 Monte Carlo SS Victory Red
    1992 Towncar Signature Series Gray Metallic
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Got the letter today...
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Got the letter today...
    Me too... placed it right into file 13.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine yesterday. I'm gonna frame all 3 of my gm recall letters.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, mine came yesterday. Round filed it.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine today, going in the circular file.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    Vararam, PaceSetter, Magnaflow, Comp, Pac, Yank
    11.95 @ 116.64

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    X2
    I plan to trade in my fixed key and tell them I lost the other. I'm also taking good transmitter and button pad
    It's January and they still haven't come up with a fix yet. In my case, I don't see an issue with my ignition.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an Acadia as a rental recently. It had the 10-15 year old looking key fob and seperate key. I'm pretty sure my in-laws' 14 Traverse has a flip key. I figure the same "fix" will apply to G8s.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com