Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiss and Ticking...help?

Southeast New Jersey (LBI, Toms River, Atlantic City)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hiss and Ticking...help?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...07958531732905

Not sure if this link is going to work...but there is a hiss that I have had for quite sometime. I removed the vacuum line that goes from behind the TB to the rear of the block on the drivers side and the hiss went away, so a guy i was talking to said that I probably needed to replace that line, and to try it with 3/8 vacuum line. so I removed the old line, and put on the 3/8 line. The hiss is still there as you can hear in the video. If i pinch the line, the hiss goes away. but I cant find any leaks anywhere...I think I am hearing the air run through the line, although that would mean that the line is a really loud vacuum line lol. I noticed that there is some oil spray on the drivers side rear of the block, so I figure the original line was leaking...but now I just dont know. My rough idle is still there and I am completely at a loss here. I was told the tick sounds like my lifters possibly starting to go...just wanted some other feedback from you guys...any help is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

You need to look at some diagrams of the pcv system to see which line you're talking about. I don't believe that line is on the pcv solenoid (front left), but you should double check. If you hear a slight hiss, its very likely that you're just hearing air in the line... Although I would figure out where your oil spray came from...

You could attempt carb cleaner or propane to search for a vacuum leak if you think that is an issue...

After watching the video, I think the hiss is abnormally loud.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

3. Thanks EngineDweller thanked for this post
    Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the manifold vacuum is really struggling to pull something thru the PCV system.
    Take the hose off the nipple at the rear of the drivers side valve cover and look down inside the nipple.
    There's a 3mm drilled hole (restrictor/orifice) thru the centre of the nipple.
    Chances are there could be something partially blocking this 3mm hole.

Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

5. Thanks EngineDweller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    I don't believe that line is on the pcv solenoid (front left), but you should double check.
    There is no PCV solenoid.
    The solenoid you're thinking of is for the EVAP system.

PCV deals with crankcase oil and vapour mist.
    EVAP deals with gas fume buildup inside the fuel tank.
    Crazy Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the carb cleaner...and I get no change in the engine, no matter where I sprayed...the line that is making the noise is the one that is looped over the intake mani in the video...it goes into the top of the valve cover on the drivers side and runs up behind the TB...the line behind that I believe is the line for the brake booster. I just dont get how the hiss goes away completely no matter where I pinch the line going over the manifold. No other line makes the hiss go away when its removed or pinched. Its a lot louder standing on the passenger side than the drivers side, and its louder with the 3/8s line on than it was with the stock line...which would make sense if its the air in the line that im hearing, as the 3/8s would let more air flow through.....right? But when I remove the line and put my finger over the line to restrict flow, I get the exact replication of what im feeling in the cabin when she starts to stumble...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Paul View Post
    There is no PCV solenoid.
    The solenoid you're thinking of is for the EVAP system.

PCV deals with crankcase oil and vapour mist.
    EVAP deals with gas fume buildup inside the fuel tank.

Right on, thx Paul
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

9. Thanks EngineDweller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EngineDweller View Post
    I tried the carb cleaner...and I get no change in the engine, no matter where I sprayed...the line that is making the noise is the one that is looped over the intake mani in the video...it goes into the top of the valve cover on the drivers side and runs up behind the TB...the line behind that I believe is the line for the brake booster. I just dont get how the hiss goes away completely no matter where I pinch the line going over the manifold. No other line makes the hiss go away when its removed or pinched. Its a lot louder standing on the passenger side than the drivers side, and its louder with the 3/8s line on than it was with the stock line...which would make sense if its the air in the line that im hearing, as the 3/8s would let more air flow through.....right? But when I remove the line and put my finger over the line to restrict flow, I get the exact replication of what im feeling in the cabin when she starts to stumble...

That lends credit to Pauls thought of a blockage...
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

uploadfromtaptalk1407376692143.jpgthis is the line I swapped...put 3/8s vacuum line on it and when I pinch it off, hiss goes away.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...my phone is slow. Just got your message CP. Ill have to look into the hole tomorrow when I get some day light. But thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EngineDweller View Post
    Ill have to look into the hole tomorrow when I get some day light. But thank you!
    Resist the urge to run a bigger drill thru the hole. Clean the hole with a cotton bud or whatever you use to clean out your earholes.
    If you see or feel anything wedged in the drilled hole from below then it's going to mean the valve cover has to come off to clean from the inside.
    The diameter of that hole (with an AFM engine) is all that regulates how much oil mist gets sucked from the crankcase for burning by the engine.
    Bigger hole = more oil consumption and more blue smoke.
    Last edited by Crazy Paul; 08-06-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Crazy Paul

14. Thanks EngineDweller thanked for this post