Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: How much work does a 6L80 need to reliably handle 500 Crank HP on a road course?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much work does a 6L80 need to reliably handle 500 Crank HP on a road course?

I've got a thread going in the engine section, but to make a long story short, I'm doing a hot-cam LS3 crate motor swap in my GT after blowing up the L76. Will probably make around 500 HP at the crank when tuned. The car is primarily a daily driver, but I will be taking it to the occasional track day.

Unfortunately, the history of the transmission is kinda questionable. When I bought the car, it would want to surge when coming to a stop. When I had the car dyno tuned by Patrick Guerra, he told me this was because the TCM was running a tune for a stall torque converter, but the transmission appeared to have a stock converter. After he reflashed my TCM, that surge behavior went away. One possibility that comes to mind is that the previous owner had a stall converter in there, and the dealership swapped it back out to a stock unit for resale after he traded the car in. It's also possible that the previous owner blew up the transmission doing drag passes and then had a stock transmission swapped in.

One known problem I had was when the transmission went into safe mode on the way home from work one day. It reset itself after I disconnected the battery, and the problem didn't repeat again. This was about a month before the engine failure. Some forum searching led me to some other people having the same issue every once in a while, and the cause seemed to be a worn out speed sensor of some kind. I will probably have this sensor replaced if I'm getting any other work done to the transmission while the motor is out.

I noticed the transmission shifted at 7000 RPM shortly before I dropped a valve and chucked a piston onto the front straight at TWS. It was NOT in manual mode at the time. This is higher than the max-throttle shift point of 6500 RPM that Patrick programmed, and which the car had been following all day up to that point. I don't know if this is a sign of the transmission being worn out, or just overheating, or what, but I have to assume it was a contributing factor to the engine failure. I did not have an external trans cooler at the time, which was a mistake. I will definitely be adding one after the motor swap. I've looked around a bit, and I haven't decided yet if I want to go the easy route and order the stock GXP cooler from Greg at Pace or go with something a little larger that will require more installation work. Any suggestions as to how big I should go with the cooler?

Anyway, I want to know what you folks would recommend I do to the transmission to reasonably ensure it will handle the extra horsepower when being flogged on a road course. I will definitely be adding a trans cooler, but are there any internal upgrades I can't live without? Can I get away with keeping my stock torque converter? Circle D wants $5k for a full race rebuild, which will be way outside my budget after buying the new engine. I get the feeling that level of upgrade is aimed at people putting down more power than I will be, though. If that's necessary for what I'm doing, then I will probably just have to treat the car nice and stay off the racetrack until I can afford it.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

At 500 I think the trans should be fine as long as it has a good tune and I'm sure Pat has taken care of that. Biggest issue is a cooler for the track. I put mine in engineering mode and keep an eye on trans temps and come off track when it gets around 116 C max. I have a B&M cooler mounted in the lower panel that's about 11x7 inches as I recall with a fan on it. If I didn't have a blower with intercooler in front of the radiator, I'd probably go with something like this for the capacity: http://www.bmracing.com/products/702...&md=&smd=&eng=
    You can get a stand alone cooler and then add the fan to it and save some money if you don't mind doing a little research and extra work too.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Doug. How long can you usually stay on track before the transmission temps get too high?

Does anyone with a GXP know what the dimensions of the stock cooler are?

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    Thanks for the info, Doug. How long can you usually stay on track before the transmission temps get too high?

Does anyone with a GXP know what the dimensions of the stock cooler are?
    Roughly 20 minutes but keep in mind I'm pushing around 650-700 rwhp (850-900 crank) so you should have a little more margin.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

500hp @ crank... nothing has to be done at all except make sure you get a really good trans cooler... and you will be fine... I would also make sure you can monitor trans temp also... other than that.. I wouldnt worry about it!!!! go out and have fun!!!
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...