Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serpentine Belt Installation Help

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbak View Post
    Crazy Paul... thanks for the diagram and tensioner twist info. Just installed both belts this morning... easy !
    My local car-monkeys at Q Pontiac in Tucson replaced my generator and harmonic balancer and therefore had to put both belts back on. AND THEY MADE MISTAKES ON BOTH BELTS !
    I have the double idler A/C belt and they ran the belt ABOVE the upper idler.
    They forgot to tighten the idler on the main belt...so it came loose...the belt slipped off... and shredded. I couldn't believe it !!
    Makes you wonder how much training is being provided/wasted on some of these guys.
    It's not exactly rocket surgery to put belts on an engine.

Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

With a build date of 06/08 I'm concerned that belts may fail due to 'dry-rot'. Car has 40,5xx miles though. With photos from this thread I feel I can attempt to change serpentine belt. I imagine ac belt (stock configuration) would be similar putting a wrench on ac tensioner and push tensioner down to slacken ac belt. Thanks.
    2009 WH GT Prem/Sprt w/Sunroof, Trunk liner, Custom-fitted Sunshade, Sony GPS, LED Rear License Plate Lights. X-PEL Headlight Protectors, Osram Nightbreaker Low- Beams, Redline armrest cover, Raceramp Flatstoppers, Led Reverse Lights, Led Taillights, Led Foglights, Genuine HSV Seat Belt Shouder Pads, Commodore VF rear window interior sunshade direct from AU. No Performance Mods, maybe someday just get a 480HP Crate Engine from GMPerformance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by astynx View Post
    With a build date of 06/08 I'm concerned that belts may fail due to 'dry-rot'. Car has 40,5xx miles though. With photos from this thread I feel I can attempt to change serpentine belt. I imagine ac belt (stock configuration) would be similar putting a wrench on ac tensioner and push tensioner down to slacken ac belt. Thanks.
    YEP! Your assumption is correct!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I still have stock intake 'air box(es)' that I hopefully won't have to remove to install serpentine belt. Also I hope I can reach ac tensioner from above.
    2009 WH GT Prem/Sprt w/Sunroof, Trunk liner, Custom-fitted Sunshade, Sony GPS, LED Rear License Plate Lights. X-PEL Headlight Protectors, Osram Nightbreaker Low- Beams, Redline armrest cover, Raceramp Flatstoppers, Led Reverse Lights, Led Taillights, Led Foglights, Genuine HSV Seat Belt Shouder Pads, Commodore VF rear window interior sunshade direct from AU. No Performance Mods, maybe someday just get a 480HP Crate Engine from GMPerformance.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it sorted, I had similar the other day, when I fitted my new tensioner I decided to put two washers on the bracket bolts as one of them was slightly pushing against the wiring loom when bolt was fully home, when I tried to fit the same belt I could not get it on very easily and it was baffling me as to why, then I noticed the tensioner bracket was hitting the head of the bracket bolt and was not quite giving me enough slack to pop the belt on!!! removed the washer and belt popped on fine LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I 've had the tensioner completely pushed to the stop. ( V8 ) This only makes a very small amount of belt-slack. It seems an amount of force is still necessary to pull/remove belt off tensioner pulley, with tensioner completely pushed to the stop. Maybe I can pull belt off of waterpump pulley (no pulley lip) first for removal. I want to save belt in case replacement belt is incorrect size. I was able to reach down from above and slacken ac belt, seems to be only a small amount of slack there also. I'm concerned that I may be able to remove belts with some pulling force but won't be able to install replacement belts especially ac belt (easier to pull off then to push on). Maybe I am being overly-cautious. I expected that these belts would have more slack when loosened considering belt removal/replacement (according to others ) is a somewhat basic DIY procedure. Thanks for any replies. edit; Factory original belts I'm trying to replace. I hope someone reads this. For a reason unknown to me, when I post, the post doesn't show up under "New Posts"
    Last edited by astynx; 06-14-2015 at 04:20 AM.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just slide off the pulley with no lip, like you said.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes there's supposed to be only a small amount of slack when you bottom out the tensioner. There is enough slack to get an old belt off and put a new belt on. Use a screwdriver as a lever to move the belt sideways towards the front edge of a pulley.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is easiest to leave the water pump pulley for last since it has no lip.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

10. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey you guys many thanks. With screwdriver pry or pull off at waterpump methods. I'm certain I can remove/replace 'serp' belt. I'll probably have to lever ac new ac belt on. Again, I appreciate the helpful comments.