Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple TV install DIY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Apple TV install DIY

Had this up on that other board before i got banned for unknown reasons, go figure lol. So here it is for others that wanted it:
    10485612_10152096085171927_357582010_o.jpg
    Apple TV install on Pontiac G8:

Materials Needed:
    1- Apple TV ($99)
    1- HDMI – RCA Converter (I used this one: Amazon ) ($29)
    1- Power Inverter (http://www.lowes.com/pd_503449-89606...ter&facetInfo=) is the one I used, I was going to go for a more expensive one if this didn’t work but 6 months in I have had 0 issues) ($25)
    1- Wifi Router (any should work, I used this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-N1...outer/11084824) ($29)
    1- aux cable for G8 – I’m not going to post here how to make one, there’s already threads here on that, they can also be purchased from various places
    1- HDMI Cable
    1- USB Power block (I used the one that came from my iPhone, everyone should have an extra one of these laying around
    1 set of RCA cables (yellow, white, red)
    1- 3 way extension cable (6-9ft)

Steps:
    This is pretty straight forward but first you need to remove the glove box (theirs a tutorial on here already) once you have access to the side of the radio connect the aux cable to the factory radio. Then connect one end of the RCA cables to the aux cable and connect the other end to the HDMI-RCA converter, note that this is a powered converter (receives power via a supplied MicroUSB cable) plug the micro usb cable into the converter and the USB end into your USB power block and connect it to the extension cable. On the opposite end of the HDMI-RCA converter is a HDMI input, plug one end of your HDMI cable into it and plug the other end into the Apple TV. Plug the power cable for your Apple TV into your 3-way extension cable. Plug the power cable for the router into the last slot of the extension cable. I elected to put the Power inverter in the center glovebox and ran the extension cable along the side of center console and under the carpet with it coming out at the end of the passenger footwell. From here you need to just put everything where you want it. I chose to put the Apple TV and Router in my glovebox (used access holes already in the glove box to run the wiring through) and ziptie’d the extension cable to the top/back of the glovebox (the outside of it) The HDMI-RCA converter was small enough that I was able to tuck it in right next to the radio.

Once all of the hardware is installed you need to configure the network, consult the manual that came with your router to get default SSID/password for it. For my router that I purchased I did not need to configure anything on the router, the way it came from the factory worked perfect for me, I just merely changed the SSID to ‘Pontiac G8 GXP’ as it was cooler than just ‘NETGEAR’. On the Apple TV you’ll need to connect it to the wireless network you now have in your car, this is pretty straight forward. One thing to note if you elect to install it in the glove box like I did that if you want to use the included Apple TV remote that you’ll have to open the glove box every time as the remote requires a line of sight to the device in order to work. But being that once you have the setup complete you shouldn’t have to use the remote at all in the future. Lastly you’ll need to connect your iPhone to the same network. You now need to trick your phone into using the Wifi for the airplay portion and using cellular data for everything else, otherwise if you’re just connected to the wifi in your car you will not be able to access the internet for anything (internet radio/navigation as examples). This is extremely easy to do, from the settings app on the iPhone click ‘Wi-Fi’ then click the blue i icon next to the wifi network of the car and make note of what it lists for the “IP Address” & “Subnet Mask” then instead of it being a ‘DHCP’ connection click on the ‘Static’ button and type in the aforementioned IP Address and Subnet Mask, leave the other fields blank. Now when you are connected to this wifi network it will still use cellular data (it will also not show you as being connected to wifi in the status bar and will instead show whatever cell data network you’re connected to, most likely ‘LTE’). From here all you have to do is swipe up from any screen to bring up the Control Center on your iphone and next to the “AirDrop” icon you will see a new icon for “Airplay”, click the icon and then click on Apple TV, there is also the option below Apple TV for “mirroring” this allows you to mirror your whole screen on the Apple TV if you wish, but we’re just going to leave it unchecked for now. Now just go into the Music app and start playing music and it will start streaming it to the apple tv. After about a minute the Apple TV will switch over from its icon view to a Now playing view.

photo2-1.jpg

10426370_10152062253096927_1817275793_o.jpg

10429701_10152062254056927_1893458765_o.jpg

10422838_10152058614891927_131225897_o.jpg

10385996_10152058666601927_1527125955_o.jpg

2. Likes travis gore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up!
    -= R.I.P Charlie =-
    2008 Panther Black G8 GT 888 Edition #470
    Texas-Speed 418 LS3, Patrick G 234/242 114LSA+2 Cam & Livernois Ported Heads & Valve-job, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Fasterproms Ported TB & Manifold, ECM/TCM Tune by PatrickG, 1-7/8" American Racing Headers, Circle-D 258mm 2800rpm Converter, Powerbond 25% Pulley, Pedders xA Street II Kit, HSV VE GTS Fenders, HSV VE GTS 20" Wheels (285/30 & 245/35), 20% Tint, Holden Rear Sunshade, Empty Wallet Mod(tm)
    http://g8gt.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this write up. I will be doing this once i get the time to send you my headunit to do the VIM and change the logo

Post Thanks / Like

Now I know what to do with the Apple TV we got for Christmas!
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a GRRRR8 MOD! I will be doing this. Thanks for the write-up!
    2009.5 G8 GXP White Hot 6M, Heads/Cam/Intake/3.91
    515rwhp/477tq SAE Dynojet
    7.518@93.48 1.63 60' +1072 DA (1/8 mile)
    11.815@118.85 1.83 60' +364 DA (1/4 mile)
    CBI Street Cars
    DSX Tuning
    danlewisracing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried this?
    http://sm3e.com/2012/10/15/airplay-m...-ad-hoc-style/

When you posted this idea if couldn't help but think about the hotspot and if it would mirror the screen by that route. Looks like it's possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I tried creating a hotspot, and while it did work 99% of the time at least once a trip it would disconnect and I would have to reconnect everything. I don't know if it's cause I drove through a bad service area or if it was from tower handoff but it was annoying.

9. Likes Grimy1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, saw this on the other board too. I see you have a nav app up on the screen there, it doesn't appear to be Apple Maps though, I'm assuming there's no problem with mirroring when using Apple Maps, right? What about a 3rd party music app, like Spotify? I use that all the time in the car.

Also, is there any way you can think to control the iPhone through the steering wheel controls when its hooked up like this? Doesn't really seem possible to me but you never know.
    2004 GTO - PBM - Black - A4

LPE - Kooks - GHL - '05 Rear Bumper - De-Winged - HSV BBK - HP Tuners - BC Racing - Lovells - Moda - Klearz

2009.5 G8 GXP - PBM - Black - A6

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GT086 View Post
    Very nice, saw this on the other board too. I see you have a nav app up on the screen there, it doesn't appear to be Apple Maps though, I'm assuming there's no problem with mirroring when using Apple Maps, right? What about a 3rd party music app, like Spotify? I use that all the time in the car.

Also, is there any way you can think to control the iPhone through the steering wheel controls when its hooked up like this? Doesn't really seem possible to me but you never know.
    It's Waze, yes apple maps (and google maps) work, as well as spotify, pandora, beats, iTunes Radio, etc...

And working on the steering wheel controls but it is possible, as well as mapping the station preset buttons to launch apps on the iphone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdude24 View Post
    It's Waze, yes apple maps (and google maps) work, as well as spotify, pandora, beats, iTunes Radio, etc...

And working on the steering wheel controls but it is possible, as well as mapping the station preset buttons to launch apps on the iphone.
    Wow, if you could get the last 2 features working that would be incredibly awesome. Either way this is already great and its something I'll definitely being doing in my car, although I may wait until iOS 8 comes out, you're supposed to be able to hookup to an Apple TV without a router. I'm hoping that with it being a built in Apple feature it will be stable and not drop out ever. I did read over the thread on the other board and I saw you had problems when using the iPhone as a hotspot, this may solve that.
    2004 GTO - PBM - Black - A4

LPE - Kooks - GHL - '05 Rear Bumper - De-Winged - HSV BBK - HP Tuners - BC Racing - Lovells - Moda - Klearz

2009.5 G8 GXP - PBM - Black - A6

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.