Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple TV install DIY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Dude, you need to be a vendor before you start offering a paid service on this forum.
    Whoops, my bad.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry ray i didn't mean to cause an issue

Post Thanks / Like

Does VIM need to be installed for this to work?

Post Thanks / Like

It still works without VIM (and I used it without for 9 months until I figured out how to do vim myself) but it's a million times better if you have vim. You just won't see anything over 2mph

5. Thanks xlocdnguyen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't mind if I ask how did you do VIM yourself. I couldn't think of spending $$$ for DIY.

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_49731.jpg

Just set this up in my own GT and it's saweeeeet. I initially set it up with an OnNetworks router, but determined it was easiest to just HotSpot my phone and set the AppleTV to it's network (which also gives me netflix, youtube, and plenty of other video streaming services that i'm sure are quite not-so-legal to drive around with.) Still works perfectly with music and NAV - question for the OP... did you notice any kind of noise or distortion with the video? I know the digital to analog conversion isn't perfect... i just think i may have a small ground issue that puts a verrrrry slight haze over the video. Still works awesome though; great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested in this. I'm throwing around the idea of the Folcik HVAC and an aftermarket head unit, but man this is just too good to pass up. This is a very cost effective way to utilize the visual abilities of the screen. A few hundred bucks and its all set. That being said, I'm ALSO interested in learning to do the VIM myself. Any help with that?

2009.1 Pontiac G8GT PBM
    FE3 w/ H&R Springs
    Spectre Intake w/ Custom HSRK
    X-pipe & GXP Axle-backs
    Polk Audio DXi650 Coaxial in all doors
    Kicker CVT 8s
    GT Mat 50mm Sound Deadener
    Paddle Shifters
    Costar Bluestar
    Maverick Man HIDs 4300K w/ Amperite Delay Timer
    Custom interior LED lighting
    GXP Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper Swap
    GXP Wheel, Aluminum Pedals and Premium shift knob

Post Thanks / Like

love it !!! did it to my car a few months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGgOUxTsZ6s
    Last edited by -Ray-; 08-22-2014 at 01:43 AM.

10. Likes CReed1130 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i just tested this using an old airport express that i had in a desk drawer. It took a while to get it to set up mainly from everything being out of date(sept 09). So now i know once i send in the radio ill be able to get it to work

Post Thanks / Like

something to add onto this if you want a cleaner install. I bought one of these and tapped into the lighter and put this behind/under the cubby so the inverter was hidden and not clogging up the console

sku_117599_1.jpg

You dont see anything at all anywhere except for the router in the glove compartment. This can be hidden too but I didnt want to do so just in case i have to reset it or something.

I ran my apple tv to the drivers side of the console near the footwell and have it right behind the plastic trim pieces on the side of the console. This allows you to use the remote... Really useful if you want to change settings on the fly or if youre navigating through the different apps... Even if youre just playing music, the remote lets you go to the next or previous song. I know you can just do it with the phone screen, but I prefer the remote because you can do it by feel rather than having to look at your phone to see if youre placing your thumb over the correct "button"