Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homebrew iPhone integration with steering wheel control.

Post Thanks / Like

The inbox is unfull now
    Solo cat back exhaust, Rotofab intake, HSRK, VMS tune, Lovells Eliminator struts/shocks springs, Pedders sway bars, long gone Spohn front LCAs, GPS center stack trim

Rule #1 - Cardio
    Zombies lead a very active lifestyle. So should you.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm understanding this right, if I combined this with phoenixdude's Apple TV setup I could control my iPhone through the steering wheel and it would all be displayed on the head unit through mirroring with the Apple TV and the iPhone wouldn't need to be plugged into anything?

The controls should work with 3rd party apps like Spotify right?
    2004 GTO - PBM - Black - A4

LPE - Kooks - GHL - '05 Rear Bumper - De-Winged - HSV BBK - HP Tuners - BC Racing - Lovells - Moda - Klearz

2009.5 G8 GXP - PBM - Black - A6

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

Post Thanks / Like

That is correct although I have found Airpray to be finicky at times. I came close to modifying my AppleTV to run off DC but after mocking things up and playing around, there seemed to be more manual intervention than I wanted, especially if I was driving. Things might work out to your liking but it was too aggravating at times for me.
    Solo cat back exhaust, Rotofab intake, HSRK, VMS tune, Lovells Eliminator struts/shocks springs, Pedders sway bars, long gone Spohn front LCAs, GPS center stack trim

Rule #1 - Cardio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghodge View Post
    That is correct although I have found Airpray to be finicky at times. I came close to modifying my AppleTV to run off DC but after mocking things up and playing around, there seemed to be more manual intervention than I wanted, especially if I was driving. Things might work out to your liking but it was too aggravating at times for me.
    Can you elaborate on what kind of manual intervention was needed? I've used AirPlay and mirroring at home without any hiccups and I do plan on using top end components, the new Arduino and a WiFi AC router, so there should be no hardware limitations.

LPE - Kooks - GHL - '05 Rear Bumper - De-Winged - HSV BBK - HP Tuners - BC Racing - Lovells - Moda - Klearz

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, AirPlay sometimes just stops working or won't be detected. AirPlay would also drop after taking a call on the phone. Ad-hoc networking between my iPhone and The Apple TV was even more hit-or-miss. I really wanted to go the AppleTV route because I would be able to mirror Dashcommand onto my external rear video input. I also love that the audio is not compressed with AirPlay (definitely better quality than audio over Bluetooth), but the fact is that in my setup automatically pairs with the Bluetooth receiver and works reliably for me makes it a better fit for me.

I hope you do try in hopes that you can get it working reliably. Perhaps things just didn't work well in my mockup environment in my basement. Maybe things would work better actually in the car away from a lot of other things communicating in the 2.x GHz band. If you are successful, I can replicate what you are doing.

George

George

Rule #1 - Cardio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghodge View Post
    For me, AirPlay sometimes just stops working or won't be detected. AirPlay would also drop after taking a call on the phone. Ad-hoc networking between my iPhone and The Apple TV was even more hit-or-miss. I really wanted to go the AppleTV route because I would be able to mirror Dashcommand onto my external rear video input. I also love that the audio is not compressed with AirPlay (definitely better quality than audio over Bluetooth), but the fact is that in my setup automatically pairs with the Bluetooth receiver and works reliably for me makes it a better fit for me.

I hope you do try in hopes that you can get it working reliably. Perhaps things just didn't work well in my mockup environment in my basement. Maybe things would work better actually in the car away from a lot of other things communicating in the 2.x GHz band. If you are successful, I can replicate what you are doing.

George

George
    I definitely plan on using 5GHz AC WiFi, if it works 50ft through several walls in my house it better work in the car.

Ideally I want to get this setup done before the middle of May because I'm going to the Ocean City, MD car show and this would be nice on the 5+ hour drive there. But we'll see, sometimes I get sidetracked, meaning lazy. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

bump for bump's sake - did anyone else ever do this?

any better description of the parts and interconnections - or alternate parts.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes