Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust clamps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Exhaust clamps

So I purchased SLP longtubes with H/F cats and for the life of me I cant get them to stop leaking around the clamps. Am I doing something wrong or what?
    2009 G8 GT,
    VARARAM CAI, HSRK, VECTOR ECM/TCM TUNE, SLP 1-3/4 LONG TUBE HEADERS, MAGNAFLOW X-PIPE, SOLO AXLE BACKS, DBA T3 ROTORS/HAWK PADS

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a band clamp that didnt leak. Get it welded.
    ~Michael
    09 G8 GT - White Hot
    RotoFab/HP Maximizer Headers/LStuner.com tune
    330hp/360ft-lbs (87 octane)

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that welding is best, but I used a good bead of high heat rtv around mine before slipping it together, no leaks yet!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Get v bands.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!!
    2009 G8 GT,
    VARARAM CAI, HSRK, VECTOR ECM/TCM TUNE, SLP 1-3/4 LONG TUBE HEADERS, MAGNAFLOW X-PIPE, SOLO AXLE BACKS, DBA T3 ROTORS/HAWK PADS

Post Thanks / Like

Welding works, but kind of makes everything both rigid and permanent.

You can try to put on flanges that use gaskets (like the rear axleback flanges), but even that's not 100% guaranteed.

One thing you can try which works most of the time, is cheap enough that if it fails you won't be out $$$, and will not require permanent modification, is to slather on some Permatex Ultra Copper silicone gasket maker. I used this stuff on my 2-stroke kart engine exhaust. I had EGT temps over 1100*, with the pipe/gasket reaching 500*+. No way you'll get that hot on any of the exhaust piping, except right near the heads. And, the vibration that we see on our exhaust tubing is nowhere near what is experienced in a 2-stroke kart. I've had mine on for 6 months now, and no leaks.

And, yes, I mean "slather" it on. You cannot have too much. It'll squish out when you tighten everything down. When it "hardens", it still stays rubbery. No clue how it would handle freezing temps, road salt, salt water, etc. though.

Post Thanks / Like

Karts hu..I'm assuming you race at a local track?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
    Welding works, but kind of makes everything both rigid and permanent.

You can try to put on flanges that use gaskets (like the rear axleback flanges), but even that's not 100% guaranteed.

One thing you can try which works most of the time, is cheap enough that if it fails you won't be out $$$, and will not require permanent modification, is to slather on some Permatex Ultra Copper silicone gasket maker. I used this stuff on my 2-stroke kart engine exhaust. I had EGT temps over 1100*, with the pipe/gasket reaching 500*+. No way you'll get that hot on any of the exhaust piping, except right near the heads. And, the vibration that we see on our exhaust tubing is nowhere near what is experienced in a 2-stroke kart. I've had mine on for 6 months now, and no leaks.

And, yes, I mean "slather" it on. You cannot have too much. It'll squish out when you tighten everything down. When it "hardens", it still stays rubbery. No clue how it would handle freezing temps, road salt, salt water, etc. though.

2009 G8 GT,

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered some borla clamps to try and get a better seal and stronger hold. I keep pulling my connecting pipes off the cats when I go over speed bumps. The borla ones look about 3 times as long as the ones that came with my kooks setup.
    09.5 LR G8 GXP A6
    For mods list, honk 3 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrroy61805 View Post
    Karts hu..I'm assuming you race at a local track?
    I did. NOLA Motorports Park. Sold all my stuff a few months ago. Literally, everything from the kart, to the stand, down to the toolboxes to work on it and spare parts. Literally, the entire operation.

Had a bad experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea karts are fun but the cost of racing every weekend is just ridiculous. I did it for about 3 years, just couldn't afford to have the engine rebuilt every 10 races and something broke almost every time.
    2009 G8 GT,