Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0521 - low oil pressure - how worried should I be?

Post Thanks / Like

Default P0521 - low oil pressure - how worried should I be?

some history...

Car had lifters replaced under warranty in august 2013. I paid them to put a new oil pump in the car.

Fast forward to January. Pop code p0521 low oil pressure. Went to check oil, and the dipstick was broken at the bracket and had literally popped out of the block. Weldrd the bracket back to the dipstick tube got her back in the block. Changed the oil. Reset codes and have been fine ever since.

Fastforward to Thursday. On my way home from work. 25 minutes in throw the same p0521 code. Turn off hvac and radio and listen for problems. All seem ok. Drive home. Clear code.
    Friday morning. I drove to work no codes (40 minute drive). Im thinking great just a fluke code. Nope...Friday on the way home it tripped again. Fak

I came home and cleared the code and inspected for any odd sounds. Nothing. This morning I picked up a new sensor from the dealer. Ugh canadian dealers charge 119 after tax. I then drove to my parents house to borrow their truck. No codes at all. The car is still their while I do some errands today.

So..from all my searching. ..many people say that it is usually the sensor...yet havent found any real world people to confirm that it has been the sensor. Most end up saying it was a problem with the oring either on pump or oil pick up tube and some of the big threads have basically had engine replaced or seriously rebuilt.

Now..if this is the case..should dealer be responsible?? Im going to hope the sensor is the easy fix for now.
    2009 G8 GT SRM - premium w/roof

Post Thanks / Like

I had low oil pressure after lifters and cam replaced too. No light but just low. 2 dealers have told me that low spec is 10 psi and I am ok. Now with getting a light you are obviously out of spec but put a manual gauge on there and see what you get.

2008 PBM G8 GT with Sport and Premium packages and Sunroof.

Mods: 6.0 iron block, dod delete, cam, Pacesetter LTs, VMAX ported TB, Volant CAI, 3200 stall, 3.45 gears

Post Thanks / Like

Replaced sensor and still got code.

Replaced oil valve lifter filter today...we will see if that helps. Using efilive im seeing average of 36psi at idle...50psi when held at 2000rpm.

Not once did it drop below 30psi in the electric gauge. Wont have a chance to drive it until wednesday now.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just updating my own thread...

So far Engine Oil pressure sensor and Valve Lifter Oil Filter have been replaced. Car runs good. Haven't popped a CEL yet, but monitoring it on EFILIVE I have the following results to share.

EXT TEMP was below 30F, -3C this morning.

Began logging rpm vs engine oil pressure.

On startup; 50psi at idle, 50psi while moving.

Pressure slowly dropped to 30psi at idle, 45-50psi while moving (say my first 2 stop signs)

Once the engine was warm, I was seeing pressures ranging from 12-20psi at idle, 30psi at light cruise, and 40psi at 75% throttle up to 3000rpm.

I know I need to get a manual gauge on there, but for some reason I trust the engine oil pressure sensor. It seems to respond properly to throttle application and increase pressure almost immediately with any load.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this code issue before.
    a) there are "many" bad oil sensors out there. Whomever the supplier is - should be beaten senseless!
    b) if they replaced the lifters with non-dod lifters..you may need a different valley tray. I replaced mine - bingo no more P0521 code.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

If it was the oring, I would think you would have noticed the issue right after they changed the oil pump. My dashawk would show 50-52 on start up and upper 40's while cruising 40-50 mph.
    2008 MGM GT. Patrick G spec'd 222/226 .597”/.605” 115LSA +3 cam, Ported TB, Ported Manifold, 25% PB UDP, 180* Tstat, Vararam w/HSRK, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, X w/cats and muffs, GXP Diffuser, B Splitter, 6000K HID's, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side,Rear Markers and Tails, 15% Window Tint, Blackedout Chrome, Ghost Stripes, G2 Red Calipers

Post Thanks / Like

Dealer attempting to replace oil pressure releif valve inside the pan. Highly doubt this is causing low pressure...since its job is to releive high pressure to afm lifters.

As always will keep thread updated.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Periodic View Post
    Dealer attempting to replace oil pressure releif valve inside the pan. Highly doubt this is causing low pressure...since its job is to releive high pressure to afm lifters.

As always will keep thread updated.
    It could if it is stuck open by a small piece of debris.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Dealer is replacing entire engine, it is being good willed through GM Canada since I am only 2 months out of my extended warranty and since the dealer was the last ones to have my engine apart only 10,000km ago. Just a minor dispute or how much of it I will cover (out of my pocket), but quite frankly those details don't belong on a public forum. Again, my experience with my dealer and with GM Canada customer care have been top notch and both have expressed a willingness to help.

10. Likes Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME! That's what you want to hear! I looked at mine the other day and it sits right at 30PSI on the HSV gauge I put in when idling and warm. It jumps right up when on it though. Mine has a Melling pump though.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!