Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: VCM Owners Please Chime In; Broken Tab Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Default VCM Owners Please Chime In; Broken Tab Issue

I was planning on upgrading from my Vararam intake to the VCM. (I really like the look a lot better.) Anyway, I'm a tard and didn't realize the VCM clips into those existing tabs that line the front of the G8 engine bay. Unfortunately, I'm missing one of the tabs (passenger side) so I'm not sure if the VCM will be held in place well enough.

Now I can't be for sure, because I didn't notice this until months later, but I remember noticing this tab was first broken on my car back in late 2011. Earlier that summer, I had the car at the dealer for a week to get the oil pan gasket fixed and the 2-3 flare issue. They were definitely around the engine and like I said, can't be for sure, but if they're the ones who broke it...

Here's what it looks like:

So I've got the VCM but I haven't opened it all the way besides the main unit (which is when I noticed this). So what do other VCM owners think here? Will it still be held in place well enough with the other two? Or should I try to rig something up for the broken side? I could just keep the vararam if this looks impossible. I wonder if Improved Racing takes refunds

Thanks for any thoughts here!
    09 PBM G8 GT
    Livernois Stage 1c Cam (218/229 117LSA), Ported Heads & Valve job, Ported TB & Intake Manifold,
    DOD Delete, Kooks Mid-Length Headers, Corsa, Roto-Fab CAI,
    Pedders SuperCar Coilovers with some BMR & Spohn mixed in,
    Lots of Holden parts

Post Thanks / Like

One of mine snapped... Plastic weld and a metal bracket bent underneath fixed it right up.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

VCM are nice but big $$$

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it would be an issue.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think u will need it the Intake is really held in place by the throttle body / map sensor....fitting / rubber mounting point...as for the cost.... Ya get what ya pay for ///

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I dont think it will be a problem. The VCM comes with brackets for the radiator support that will hold it in place. I don't think this one tab will make a huge difference once you have it installed you will see. But like Pete mentioned ..you might be able to fix this with a simple 90 degree metal bracket.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

After taking a look at mine......That broken tab will only be used if you buy the additional side / radiator covers ..even then it will still fit...
    Last edited by missan nissan; 05-05-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: correction
    ...Live Fast.....It Won't Last

Post Thanks / Like

^^ What he said ..looked at it when I go home.. I have the side panels on mine and yea thats all they are there for.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! I'll start putting it on later this week and report back. I may still try to fab up a metal bracket but we'll see.
    09 PBM G8 GT
    Livernois Stage 1c Cam (218/229 117LSA), Ported Heads & Valve job, Ported TB & Intake Manifold,
    DOD Delete, Kooks Mid-Length Headers, Corsa, Roto-Fab CAI,
    Pedders SuperCar Coilovers with some BMR & Spohn mixed in,
    Lots of Holden parts