Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: TB Freaking Out

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TB Freaking Out

I made a few more changes to the G8. The increased airflow has caused the Nick Williams 102 TB to freak out. When it happened the first time I thought my engine was a goner. It was in limp mode. After checking it over in the pits it seemed to run fine again. Took it for a short drive outside the track and all seemed well. Took it on another run and it was a repeatable issue. Once a certain airflow/RPM at WOT was met it did it again. Rick has some tuning fixes that may help, otherwise I may need to investigate the NW non slam shut fix. There will be a solution and at least my engine is healthy for now.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

At least it was limp mode!!!

Good luck with it.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lesson learned this weekend. When a car goes into reduced power mode it goes to -15 timing. That along with a healthy cam will cause it to sputter horribly. I did some research this weekend on the NW 102 TB issues. Had lots of issues with the Camaros and CTS-Vs when you get up to 700 rwhp with a PD blower. The rotor pulses cause the blade to flutter. If it flutters enough the computer gives up and you go into reduced power mode. Looking at the logs when it happened that is exactly what is occurring. TPS is deviating from the commanded throttle position. Same DTCs that the Camaro and CTS-V people were getting. Rick has opened up the error percent allowed. That seemed to help today when I went on a Mexican 3rd gear pull. The track will be the true test. If I still have issues I can send the TB to Nick Williams to get upgraded I think.

The belt shredding has started. It was predicted to occur, and it sure did. I had an extra belt on hand today and swapped it out. I will keep a spare around until I either go to 8 rib via the Hilliard method, or demod a bit.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you figured out the issue. It all makes perfect sense now with the symptoms and very valuable information for modders to come. -15º of timing sure made it sound hurt!

And I'll be the first to say BOOO to the demoding. Well at least keep the small pulley and belt for track duty.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

5. Likes TooManyHobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    or demod a bit.
    now thats just silly talk....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

7. Likes G8-4-Speed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
    now thats just silly talk....
    Seriously.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader