Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Had my G8 worked on and serviced at dealer found it was short 2 qts after 150 mi

Post Thanks / Like

Default Had my G8 worked on and serviced at dealer found it was short 2 qts after 150 mi

I have owned my own nine G8 GT for over a year but don't drive it much and it is in the garage all winter. It was a GM certified car but was about to go ahead and service it myself. My oil life was still at 40% and drove less than 6000 miles. Noticed the oil pan gasket was leaking. Called and talk to a dealer and it was pretty pricey to replace. So I called GM they set me up an appointment with the dealer near me. They verified the issue and talked with GM and cut me a fair deal to replace the gasket. I pick the car up and the ticket red 8.8 quarts of oil so I didn't think about checking it at the time. About 150 miles later I stopped to fuel up checked the oil and it was about a half inch below the slashes. I had an appointment to keep so I called the dealer from the station and they said to get the oil up into the slashed area and made me an appointment. They told me it was not at a critical point but I was very unhappy to put it lightly. I added 1 quart at the station and that brought it up above the first hole.I had looked under the car couldn't see anything wet and there was no oil in my garage. Got home that day left it in the garage till I got into dealer couple days later. I took it in and they invited me out to the garage to inspect the under side of the car no leaks were obvious. They checked the oil while I was there man and added the half court twice to get it in the middle. They apologized and said it should be okay. I do not have the gauge package in my car. Luckily I should've had about 7 quarts still in the motor. I don't drive the car easy and it makes me wonder if I indeed was okay? I could kick myself for not checking it before left the dealer. I usually service my own vehicles because of this kind of crap. Anybody got any input? I would think with 7 quarts or better in the car and no lights coming on I should've been okay and the weather was cool. The car just turned 17,000 miles.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's common for unfamiliar techs to under fill the oil in spite of the paperwork. So hopefully that's all it is.

The car should be OK. There would be lights on low pressure and maybe there is an oil temperature light too. Besides, V-8s use to run on 5 qts.

I'm with you on doing it myself. Just did mine yesterday and noticed the whole side of the pan on the filter side had a residue but not wet. Will keep an eye on it. Maybe tighten the pan bolts.
    Last edited by WhatNext; 04-05-2014 at 01:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pricey oil pan gasket by the dealer is and understatement.
    When I moved I didn't have a place to replace mine. I went to the dealer for a quote and was told over $1600. Yes I didn't type that wrong. 1600. They said they drop the subframe and 12hr of labor.
    Granted its a pain in the a to change but thats a lot of cash.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

7 qts. of oil is going to be fine. I wouldn't worry about that part.
    The tech should be using a dial on the oil fill nozzle when he fills. He must have set it incorrectly. Service manager should have a talk with him.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 04-05-2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Removed redundancy
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    7 qts. of oil is going to be fine. I wouldn't worry about that part.
    The tech tech should be using a dial on the oil fill nozzle when he fills. He must have set it incorrectly. Service manager should have a talk with him.
    Another theory could be that someone looked up the G8 oil fill volume and used the V6 figure (7.1 quarts)
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    Pricey oil pan gasket by the dealer is and understatement.
    When I moved I didn't have a place to replace mine. I went to the dealer for a quote and was told over $1600. Yes I didn't type that wrong. 1600. They said they drop the subframe and 12hr of labor.
    Granted its a pain in the a to change but thats a lot of cash.
    If they drop the sub frame they aren't following the instructions GM gave them.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

I know that it is a little drive for you,but Skillman Buick and GMC in Greenwood will take great care of you. I only go there. Erick is one of the best techs and Jamie who is the service manager is great to work with.
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. General Motors did step up and help me out a bunch with the low miles I had put on it. Warranty just went out in December while it was setting in the garage. Lesson learned!

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say...17k miles.

Mines out of warranty anyway, but I had them do the pan gasket early to avoid issues down the line [as it sits for 6 months, or like this year...it will sit 95% of it]
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

I believe GM's instruction on removing the oil pan just says to unbolt the steering rack and push it forward. I've done this a few times and it only took me a couple hours.