Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Window switch - able to fix or just replace?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
    Darnit... I was gonna do all the pictures...

Okay, how about I take pictures of how to pry off the panel and swap the switches out then? When I get the switch from Greg that is.
    LOL it is really pretty easy to take the switch apart so I did it on Friday in under 5 minutes
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'll be doing this soon. About a month ago, I stopped at Taco Bell, and they super-filled my drink. Ended up with little drops of Pepsi everywhere. Couple days later, sticky switches...

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got the new switch and it's very close to the grey in my 09. Granted I'm looking at it from memory 'cause I'm not in my car right now. I'll post up some pictures tonight when I get home.
    -Bob
    2009 MSM G8 GT - Christine

Go:MJD Performance Tune, Kook's LTs 1 7/8", Chrome TVS2300, Little Lunati cam, etc, etc, etc...

Warm start/idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwZxC-2_1o

620 - RWHP
    563 - RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be slightly lighter in color. Post some pics when you can
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Preliminary results... it does look a shade or two lighter than stock. I'm going to try and swap it out tomorrow if I have time.
    -Bob

Go:MJD Performance Tune, Kook's LTs 1 7/8", Chrome TVS2300, Little Lunati cam, etc, etc, etc...

620 - RWHP
    563 - RWTQ

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg , can you get the switches in black?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg, thanks so much for the instructions on how to get the switch out; mine's on order!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: couldn't pull off the center piece by hand. I could get it pulled up a little around the window switch but the rest of it wouldn't budge. I'm going to try to get to a Harbor Freight for a set of plastic trim removal tools. They're on their site for 12 bucks so it's not a big deal, plus I'll have them for other projects. (Thank you to Jay for letting me know about them)
    -Bob

620 - RWHP
    563 - RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cstmg8 View Post
    Greg , can you get the switches in black?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    I CAN get the black ones but the price is about $120. There is another vendor on here selling repops for about 1/2 that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
    Update: couldn't pull off the center piece by hand. I could get it pulled up a little around the window switch but the rest of it wouldn't budge. I'm going to try to get to a Harbor Freight for a set of plastic trim removal tools. They're on their site for 12 bucks so it's not a big deal, plus I'll have them for other projects. (Thank you to Jay for letting me know about them)
    haha yea Doug called me last night asking the same question I kind of walked him through it. It is held down by 6-8 of those white clips used on the G8 interior. I start at the cup holders and work my forward slowly.
    I need to get a set of those tools also.
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq

10. Likes Doug Hilliard liked this post
    Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alrighty... finally got to Harbor Freight and picked up the trim tools. For what it's worth I got the blue set that's a harder plastic with 'sharper' edges to get into the gaps easier. I used the one that was like a little crow-bar and pried up the center trim part just ahead of the cup holders as noted above. It took some wiggling/prying but it wasn't to bad. The center left clip and the front left gave me the most trouble. Honestly there were a few times I wasn't sure if I was going to break the trim or pop it out, but this shows you where the clips are so you shouldn't have to worry as much.

After you pry the piece up you can press the clip on the two plugs that go into the window module and pull them down. Then there's just a few clips to pry up that are similar to the switch disassembly and it pops out. In the picture above you can see the small rectangular holes where the clips snap into. Here's a shot of the underside of the trim piece so you know where to apply a little muscle.

After tearing down both switches I found that it was the plastic part of my switch that was bad. Figuring it may have been gummed up I soaked it in some water for a while, swished it around a bit, then blew it out with some compressed air. Further evaluation of the old switch showed that there was some wear on the actual electrical switch so I still used the new board/contacts.

To confirm the color difference before starting everything, I took a picture with the new one in the cup holder in sunlight. You can see the new one is certainly lighter by a few shades.

All in all it took an hour, mainly because I was taking my time and being careful. Put it all back together and everything works fine. All four windows work, mirror control works and door lock works. Come to think of it I didn't try the window lock but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work if everything else does.

Hopefully this will help you when you do it.
    -Bob

620 - RWHP
    563 - RWTQ