Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Help Connecting Costar A2DP Aux wires to XM harness

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Connecting Costar A2DP Aux wires to XM harness

Hi all, I have been thinking about wiring the Costar A2DP directly to my Sat wiring harness since I don't use it anyway and it's only a couple inches away. Much easier then having a headphone wire running all the way to the front of my radio. I'm not sure which wires to tap into. Here are some pics

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the Bluestar as well and installed it. Wondering what the best A2DP solution is. Did you make any headway using the XM wiring?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dj lpm View Post
    I just purchased the Bluestar as well and installed it. Wondering what the best A2DP solution is. Did you make any headway using the XM wiring?
    Not yet, weather hasn't been great and no replies here yet... May just get out the voltmeter.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is your pinout
    Pin - Wire - Circuit - Function
    1 - 0.5 BN/WH - 372 - Remote Radio Audio Output (-)
    2 - 0.5 D-GN - 7007 - Left Radio Audio Output
    3 - 0.5 GY/BK - 7008 - Right Radio Audio Output
    4 - 0.5 GY - 388 - Remote Radio Right Audio Signal
    5 - 0.35 D-GN - 5060 - Low Speed GMLAN Serial Data
    6–8 — — Not Used
    9 - 0.5 BK - 1050 - Ground
    10–15 — — Not Used
    16 - 0.5 OG/WH - 2340 - Battery Positive Voltage
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Greg, tried searching for the XM pin outs with no success. This makes it very simple!

Post Thanks / Like

Any update?
    If it has tits or tires it's bound to be trouble........

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone help in confirming the 3.5mm to xm wiring... finding some conflicting info between this and another thread. This is how I was reading it below, thanks!

Pin - Wire - Circuit - Function.......................................... 3.5mm wires

1 - 0.5 BN/WH - 372 - Remote Radio Audio Output (-)....... Bare Copper Wire
    2 - 0.5 D-GN - 7007 - Left Radio Audio Output ................. Red
    3 - 0.5 GY/BK - 7008 - Right Radio Audio Output .............. White

3.5mm wire:

Red - L .................................... Thick Green
    White - R ................................. Grey w/ Black
    Bare copper - ground ................. Brown w/ White

3.5mm to RCA:

Red - left output ................................. Thick Green
    Bare copper - ground ...................... Brown w/ White

White - right output ............................. Grey w/ Black
    Bare copper - ground ....................... Brown w/ White

Post Thanks / Like

that looks good but I wonder if you will need to also pic up with the bare copper (3.5 ground) to the Remote Radio audio signal - the 388 label.

as I see it you might have a + and - for the LH and a + and - for the RH side just like an amplifier. you might could wire them both to the same ground but I don't know if it will matter here.

the head unit might test continuity.

next issue - even if you get that going do you think you'll be able to set input to XM and pick up your BT output? I agree that when you get a call it should auto swap over - but hard to tell.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

what caught me were the discussions of + /- / L / R tapped sourced when a 3.5mm is just Left, Right, & Ground... so just looking to hopefully clear those up, and confirm there isn't a 4 wire 3.5mm cable that i'm not aware of....

Don't want to link posts to other sites, but found this thread, guy layed it out nicely. In my best interpretation of this I tapped away and set off air bag fault codes :facepalm; figure i would better confirm before continuing

Naskie18 posts...

"Get a 3.5mm cable, cut off one end and separate the wires, fist to left / right, then to + and - on each side. To simplify things, I got a wire that went from the 3.5mm connector to two RCA jacks (left and right) and just cut off the RCA connectors. You can see the cable going from the bluestar (on the left) to the XM module (on the right) in this image.

Then you'll need to cut the speaker wires going from the XM module back to the headunit, and connect the wires from the 3.5mm cable to this. Here's an image of when I did mine:

You have to keep the XM box connected, so you only want to cut the 4 wires for the speakers. If you disconnect the XM box, the headunit is smart enough to realize it isn't there, and it takes that band selection away from you, so you only can cycle through AM/FM.

Found the schematic today:
    The two negatives are the brown/white wire and the gray wire. The two positives are green and gray/black. The green and brown/white wires are a pair to one side, and the gray/black and gray wires are a pair to the other side, although this doesn't tell me which are which.

A good song for determining which side is which is Collective Soul's "Heavy", in the first 10 seconds or so it starts off only in one side (I think the right channel is first), then transitions only to the other side, so this is what I used when testing my setup to ensure I had them correct. "

Post Thanks / Like

there are good audio setup discs that you can get into mp3 format also. or on your phone if your player has the ability (like jet audio) you can adjust the balance in the app and even on BT streaming it will change sides.

so let me make sure I understand this completely. with the COSTAR module - and this wiring off the existing Xm module harness - you can BT stream from a device - through COSTAR - TO the XM band - and it plays through.

QUestion does it require having XM service or will this take the place of the any audio stream coming out of the box. I suspect the latter since cutting the wires this will push audio across the line and take the place the the preview crap I get if I flop over too it.

this also means I now have to reinstall my XM module.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes