Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass cowl induction hood (inactive)

Post Thanks / Like

A 2 piece fiberglass hood will not weigh more than the factory hood. My idea behind this is to have a functional cowl induction hood. MPD1 has been making custom hoods, spoilers..etc for years. I have no idea how you make an after market hood that is different than the factory and a hood very few people will even have, not look after market. Then this is most likely not the group buy for you.
    MPD1 has a hood as a base to start with. My cost was $400 for that. You want a flimsy hood? You can have this one for a penny when MPD1 is done with it. I thought carbon fiber was strong. I guess until someone makes a hood out of it.
    The hoods will be strengthened. It won't bend when you attempt to close it, and hood pins will not be necessary.
    I don't design hoods. MPD1 does though. I felt that I went to the right place to design and manufacture a custom hood. MPD1 also make a COPO hood for race cars, and it's not thin and flimsy.
    If I can get at least 5 people to say they want one, without even incurring any cost to them, then I'll keep this open. If not, then I'll have a 1 off made just for my G8. I already have $400 into this project.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

All Eric did was plop a cowl induction piece that he had laying around on top my purchased hood. It's kinda hard to show a finished product on the very first day I talk to MPD1.

Here are a couple of photo's of what a Camaro hood looks like finished.

The hood will weigh around 32 lbs. The cowl induction piece will taper to the front beyond the hood scoops. If it didn't, it would look like a bump on the hood. The G8 has long lines and that is going to be reflected in the hood. It will retain the original shape adjacent to the fenders. The nose gap will be improved.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

I think that hood will look great! I am not in the market for one but sure hope this works out. I do know that Eric was not going to make a hood so for Ray to get this done is pretty cool. I hope those that are on the fence pull the trigger. Eric does great work and if you buy you will not be unhappy
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great looking hood. Very well built and nicely integrated into the design of the Camaro.
    Last edited by kevinm0131; 11-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    Kevin
    2009 SRM G8 GXP A6 + Roof
    Go
    Vararam CAI
    VMS "Stealth" Dyno Tune
    VMS HSRK
    GTPprix's hacked Atari gauges
    Norris Motorsports Billet Oil Catch Can
    Radical Advantage Trans dipstick
    Blendimount and Invisicord for the V-1
    Doug Thorley LT's

Show
    Tint by Spade Kreations 35% & 20%
    Holden V-6 rad cover courtesy of Crazy Paul
    PB
    12.986 @ 108.78
    R.I.P. Charlie......FUCK Cancer!

Post Thanks / Like

I did this on a new 69' Vette back when Camaro's had this system from the factory. Definitely works! Got the idea from a friend who had this setup on a stock 66' 396-375hp Chevelle SS which turned a 12.61 at Cordova with that mod, stiffer valve springs and slicks. NO other mods.

If it looks anywhere as nice as that new Camaro one you pictured, it will be GRRRR8!
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a bit of a hassle but if you could crate the beast (my cost) and ship it to Idaho in the spring or later when there ready I would jump in. I truck shipped a furnace from Lebanon to Porthill a few years back and that only cost $150 and the bloody thing weighed almost 200 lbs. One of 5 in the "whole world". Its as rare as it gets.
    09 GT PBM Base,6K HID's and relay harness, Homelink in visor, sport pedals, GXP rear valance, Pontiac trunk liner
    Infinity's in doors, Kickers on Deck powered by EXILE and 16OHM center spkr, 40' of dynamat, Weathertech floor liners
    20" Rial Porto's with 245R35 front and 275R30 rear Sumutimo HTRIII's and CTS-V Brembo calipers with DBA Rotors and SS lines.
    Pedders GSR struts with OEM height Sport Ryder Springs and SuperPro bushings. DOD deleted.
    Solo HFC's with Mach Balanced w/J pipes and resonators + 3.5" tips, Harrop Enhanced Performance with EPS custom cam
    Tuned by Patrick G. and cooled by B&M
    "Jack"
    winter 2015 mods....TBD

New DD 2013 Buick Regal GS, Diamond White, IPF Tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

All the hoods will be shipped except for mine. I can install it at his shop.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    All the hoods will be shipped except for mine. I can install it at his shop.
    Not for nothing, wouldn't it be wise for someone to post this on the other board as well? You may be able to increase interest with more people that aren't members here.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how they handle that stuff over there. I don't post there.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Zepcom is a member here and an admin over there, maybe you can talk to him? I dunno I'm just offering other options.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT