Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dba Rotors help - T2 or T3 - rust

Post Thanks / Like

Default dba Rotors help - T2 or T3 - rust

Hi,

My stock rotors are warped. I decided to get new ones, at least in the front.

I couldn't find any blank dba's in the US, is this correct?

My next question is then whether to get T2 or T3's. I some posts that dba's do rust. IS there any difference between the T2 and T3?

Post Thanks / Like

Put header paint on the rotors. Not the friction surface, but the hat. It'll stop the rust. Of course, it also inhibits performance a little, since header paint resists heat transfer. But, on the hat, that's not a huge problem for a street car.

Post Thanks / Like

T2 versus T3 sounds like a choice of tier. Unless you track the car, it sounds like T2 will be more than plenty. Mind, I don't have personal experience with the different tiers. It's just something I gleaned from a few forum threads around the 'Net.

dba rotors, if you get the one-piece deals, usually come with a coat of paint on the rotor hat and on the portion of the disc that won't be touched by the pad. Just make sure not to spray them down with brake fluid on installation. Instead, spray a cloth or shop towel and then carefully wipe the pad contact surfaces down with said cloth. This will remove the oil that coats them from the factory without removing the protective paint.

If you remove that dba paint, you will get rust on the exposed metal and you will need to supplement it with some paint of your own. I made this mistake with the first set of rotors I bought for the rear of my car, and was much more careful when I upgraded to 4-piston rear Brembos with dba rotors to not go hog-wild with the brake cleaner.

If you have front Brembos and decide to get the two-piece rotors, those are a different ballgame. The hat is painted aluminum and won't rust. The rotor, meanwhile, will where the pad doesn't clean it. So you'll need to do something about that if you care.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Just would hate to paint brand new rotors.
    BTW. are there any high quality blanks? I could not find any other than from brands that I am not familiar with. I thought thee is a dba, but apparently not avail. in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

T2 was much better than T3 - but T3 was way better than Terminator Salvation.

Wait, we're not talking about movies?
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

T3 is the newer slotted formation-I had the older ones and now the T3s and love them-rust is not a problem at all btw. the slotted t3 is the best for braking but some like the slot/drilled for looks
    its not how shiny it is or how fast it is,its how you drive it!
    GT,prem,sport pkgs
    hood deflector
    GXP diffuser
    smoked corner and tail signals
    trunk mat
    kicker subs-sony amp(custom well ecl.-me build!)
    Infinity 2way doors
    MTX re-q (for subs)
    35% tint all around
    red LED's under dash + seats
    Vararam & HSRK
    Kaltech custom 93 tune
    Solo axlebacks
    333RWHP/340RWTQ (mustang dyno)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it
    Verizon Customer Service hours
    Last edited by next711; 02-09-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Painted DBA's on mine look like the day they were installed over 6 years ago.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

VERY old thread, but I too sanded, primed, and painted mine with black ceramic caliper spray paint and they look beautiful. The rotor surfaces themselves DO flash rust though. They seem to more so than other rotors.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I'm not an expert in all this yet, but I'm interested in such questions. I esteem your opinions, I think it will come in handy.