Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OBX header install FYIs

Post Thanks / Like

Default OBX header install FYIs

i don't have detailed step-by-step instructions for you but there are a few things that i've learned/noticed that are worth noting and may simplify your life if you choose to go this route since directions were not provided. it's pretty straight forward, but these few notes are provided to make it easier on your brain and optimize install time.

o2 extensions - you only need one for the driver's side. no need to buy 2 unless you like to hoard spare parts. i've wandered whether or not i would need o2 extensions for this setup and did not find a definitive answer, so here it is.

header/manifold gaskets - i compared the cheap 2 peice header gaskets supplied by obx and the OEM gaskets that i pulled off. since the holes on the supplied gaskets are SMALLER than the holes on the OEM gaskets and the obx primaries, it seemed like a no-brainer to use OEM gaskets. i reused my used OEM gaskets and don't have any leaks. you may say or hear it doesnt work or it shouldn't work.. and it may not for you.. but it worked fine for me so far. for some cheap insurance, it would be best to just buy a new OEM gasket instead of rolling the dice on the used ones.

oil dipstick - you will need to remove for install. the dipstick reaches around the old manifold just fine (reach around..hardy har har) but when you go to reinstall the dipstick once header is in place, you will find the dipstick touches one of the primaries. the stock bolt can be started but it felt awkward enough to where i did NOT feel comfortable getting more than a couple of turns on the bolt. the fix: got a metal spacer i had laying around (estimated 1/2 inch) and a longer bolt. i put the spacer up to the new bolt to make sure the length over the spacer did not exceed the length of the OEM bolt.

x pipe - just note one side is longer than the other on the x pipe as well as the last section of pipe that bolts up to the axle back. it only fits one way and it isn't rocket science .. just pay attention.

obx bolt springs - there were springs supplied with the nuts/bolts/washers and i would imagine they are supposed to aid in expansion/contraction with heat cycles. i tried using them but they were long enough to where i couldn't even get the nut started on the bolt.. so i said f it and left them off. no issues thus far.

check engine light didn't come on until about 200 miles after install.

-beau

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up and thanks for making me laugh.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    08' Pontiac G8 GT PBM
    11.323@121.66 Rock Falls Raceway 10-11-14
    N/A RCR Car

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

glad you got a laugh out of it, drum. maybe one day, i'll have a timeslip similar to yours.

anytime guys.

Post Thanks / Like

update: not long after i posted this, the used exhaust manifold gasket on the driver's side gave out. once i got the new gasket (oem), replaced it in about 15 mins and we're good again. i haven't had any issues with the passenger side used gasket so i'm leaving as is. if it aint broke, i ain't fixing it. the nuts and bolts on the four flanges under the car have come loose and began leaking so i retorqued those today. as soon as i have time, i'm going to retorque and run another nut behind the first one which should solve our issue. the fcuking band clamps (i hate band clamps) @ the slip-on pipe right after the resonators leak like civs and pipes have moved a bit since initial install.. as soon as i can get it back on a lift, i plan on realigning and welding the slip-on area since i don't plan on ever shipping the system anywhere and it will not effect removal in the least.

cliff notes (to do):
    double nut the bolts on the exhaust flanges
    weld slip-on pipe once aligned

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up!

I just installed my obx lts yesterday with only one hickup.
    Previously on my Pacesetter install i had bent the dipstick tube itself. This caused the dipstick not to go back into its hole once I had the OBXs on. I ordered a new dipstick tube and already have the spacer/bolt. So it should just go back in (crossing my fingers) acording to your write up.
    -RIP CHARLIE GRRRR8-

2009 MGM G8 GT

PERFORMANCE:BP CATCHCAN/OBX LTS/ROTOFAB/HSRK/WHEATLEYTUNE/CTS V BREMBOS/PAT G CAM/RCR AIR RAM /TB

LOOKS:TEIN SPRINGS/FE3/TSW RINGS/BOHNMAN/SPENCER LOW & FOG/HRD DECAL

BEST E.T. AT RPR...12.56@110 ON PACESETTERS AND STOCK MIDPIPE

Post Thanks / Like

Brand new dipstick went in like a Charm. Used the longer bolt/spacer and the tube clears the primary also no bending of the tibe was required.
    Obx system is great just like the OP said, no leaks so far. Once I get it on the lift Friday ill check for more.
    -RIP CHARLIE GRRRR8-

2009 MGM G8 GT

PERFORMANCE:BP CATCHCAN/OBX LTS/ROTOFAB/HSRK/WHEATLEYTUNE/CTS V BREMBOS/PAT G CAM/RCR AIR RAM /TB

LOOKS:TEIN SPRINGS/FE3/TSW RINGS/BOHNMAN/SPENCER LOW & FOG/HRD DECAL

BEST E.T. AT RPR...12.56@110 ON PACESETTERS AND STOCK MIDPIPE

Post Thanks / Like

When you said spacer for the longer bolt, are you referring to a washer?

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my OBX system on for a few months without any issues, I also used oem gaskets with stage 8 lock fasteners without any issues. Hemeans use a longer bolt and a spacer for the oil dipstick tube to space it off the primary tube.
    09 G8GT RC custom cam , RC heads with ls9 valves, RC ported throttle body, ctsv racing lifters, ls7 Maf,Custom twin 67mm turbo kit, Shorty headers, Solo 3 inch exhaust, 3.45 gears, CTSV pump, Vaporworx controller,BAP, RC ported intake with direct port nitrous kit, New PB????
    9.97@136

Post Thanks / Like

Did you guys reuse your stock header bolts?