Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio, HVAC advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Radio, HVAC advice

I am still in the planning phase of installing the G8 interior in my 69 GTO. I came to the plans for the dash gauges, HVAC, Radio. I am torn between trying to use the stock wiring harnesses requiring a rewire (to get rid of as much as I can that isnt needed) and to adapt it to the car. OR to use stand alone engine harness, with aftermarket gauges.

I have realized a problem. (correct me if I am wrong here) the radio works off of the BCM and Datalink system. If I were to use a standalone engine harness with teh E38 ECU, I would still have to find a way to use the dash wiring harness to allow the Datalink and BCM to communicate. Wont it cause problems because I am not connecting the dash harness to the engine harness. Will it cause problems because I wont have the stock VIN?

Is there a way to get the radio and HVAC setup to work together but independent of the rest of the wiring? I wont be using the steering wheel radio controls, anti theft system, stock gauges, or any of the rest. I will ONLY be using the Radio by itself, and the HVAC. I also have plans of putting a rear mounted camera in and trying to get teh radio display for the display.

Thanks for all the help. So far several of you have been AWESOME at getting me information.

Post Thanks / Like

While I appreciate the novelty of it.

why not an 04-6 GTO interior into the GTO?

I think you can get around the VIN issue - where I think you have other issues is the other inputs to the BCM. I believe for it to function you will need the ABS/ESC controller input and also an SRS computer input. (IE airbags and the ABS/stability control pieces). because if you have a hard ABS communication fault the dash will X out and note - contact dealer and the engine won't start
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

OH and now that I think about it you will have some issues with the dash module of at GTO as well - but the center stack items won't care.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sshep71 View Post
    I am still in the planning phase of installing the G8 interior in my 69 GTO. I came to the plans for the dash gauges, HVAC, Radio. I am torn between trying to use the stock wiring harnesses requiring a rewire (to get rid of as much as I can that isnt needed) and to adapt it to the car. OR to use stand alone engine harness, with aftermarket gauges.

I have realized a problem. (correct me if I am wrong here) the radio works off of the BCM and Datalink system. If I were to use a standalone engine harness with teh E38 ECU, I would still have to find a way to use the dash wiring harness to allow the Datalink and BCM to communicate. Wont it cause problems because I am not connecting the dash harness to the engine harness. Will it cause problems because I wont have the stock VIN?

Is there a way to get the radio and HVAC setup to work together but independent of the rest of the wiring? I wont be using the steering wheel radio controls, anti theft system, stock gauges, or any of the rest. I will ONLY be using the Radio by itself, and the HVAC. I also have plans of putting a rear mounted camera in and trying to get teh radio display for the display.

Thanks for all the help. So far several of you have been AWESOME at getting me information.

Huge undertaking!!.... What about g8 center stack and then aftermarket double din fiberglassed in with an aftermarket hvac control? Or single din with controller in same area? Yes, the data connections will be tricky, not impossible, but not easy...
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

I had considered a 04-06 GTO dash setup, but thery arent the best looking, it has been done before, and the 08/09 G8 look somewhat similiar to Maserati Gran Turismo dash setups. Plus lets fae it, teh G8 was Pontiac's last true musclecar. Wouldnt a DIN or double DIN still use the LAN to communicate with the HVAC? I am not saying no to a DIN setup, however I really like the look/function of the stock G8 GT radio/HVAC setup. I want to stick to it unless its absolutely not going to happen. I figured it was going to be difficult, I just need someone who can program it to ignore everything except teh interface with the HVAC. If it is possible that is! I was hoping that if I bought a radio/HVAC setup, and BCM someone would be able to tell me exactly what I needed to make this happen and be able to do the programming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sshep71 View Post
    I had considered a 04-06 GTO dash setup, but thery arent the best looking, it has been done before, and the 08/09 G8 look somewhat similiar to Maserati Gran Turismo dash setups. Plus lets fae it, teh G8 was Pontiac's last true musclecar. Wouldnt a DIN or double DIN still use the LAN to communicate with the HVAC? I am not saying no to a DIN setup, however I really like the look/function of the stock G8 GT radio/HVAC setup. I want to stick to it unless its absolutely not going to happen. I figured it was going to be difficult, I just need someone who can program it to ignore everything except teh interface with the HVAC. If it is possible that is! I was hoping that if I bought a radio/HVAC setup, and BCM someone would be able to tell me exactly what I needed to make this happen and be able to do the programming.
    Chris white, maybe. Hope youre not in a hurry.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed White a few times. I hope that he can come up with a solution. I need to know if this is going to work out or not as I am going to have to scrap the whole idea if not. Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you planning on an LS conversion as well? To me that would seem to go hand in hand otherwise I would probably stick with the 69 dash. I actually think the 69 is a good looking dash and it was really well received back in the day and the first of that design in that generation (68-72). You could lose the wood grain and get the machined inlays as I did which modernize it somewhat. They make a repro Lecarra leather Formula wheel (70s Trans Am style) that was an option in '70 that looks and feels good in that interior.
    '08 G8 GT, 546 rwhp, TVS1900, Supercharger cam, FTI 2800 stall converter, BMR sway bars, rear trailing arms, HSRK, Atari gauge upgrade, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Resonators, Corsa system, ported throttle body, stereo upgrade, Homelink

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh I am doing a 403 LSX with 6L90 in the car. This is the link to the build, http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...t=voodoo+child I am pretty sure I am going to ditch the idea for the original radio/hvac setup. It seems as if it is going to be a bigger pain in the ass than it is worth. I am going to just look into a double din setup. How wide can I go with a double din without cutting the radio bezel housing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are doing the 6L90e I would just use the whole G8 engine harness along with the BCM and dash harness. With those parts I would think it would get you pretty close to fully functional.
    I only know of a couple aftermarket ECM's that will work with the 6L90e's internal TCM.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq