Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking aloud: Vararam versus VCM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking aloud: Vararam versus VCM

Alright, so sitting here, watching Top Gear, and thinking about cars and spending too much money as a result.

I'm thinking intakes, specifically. Not worried about performance, since between these two, it's going to be margins of error.

Specifically, the VCM is a real piece of work and integrates beautifully into the engine bay. It's both an intake and a radiator cover, with even a spot for the radiator cap.

What I've got right now is the Vararam and V6 radiator cover from Crazy Paul. Good pieces, but... The way I've got the V6 radiator cover cut right now is actually rubbing the Vararam and cutting notches into the "scoop" portion of the Vararam. So I need to trim the radiator cover back. But in order to completely stop the rubbing, I'd need to cut it far back enough that it's going to lose some of the beautification.

The other trick is that Rick (yep, Crawford) has found a nifty way to cut into the front radiator support frame, push the Vararam forward with a longer coupler, and then seal up the radiator frame with foam rubber such that you effectively restore the OEM seal between the radiator frame and the radiator, which results in more efficient cooling because all the air goes through the radiator and not around.

So here's the reason I'm looking and here's what I'm thinking, and what I've been turning over in my head off and on.

The VCM obviously won't have the problem of rubbing like the current Vararam has because it's a self-integrated piece. However, it also has absolutely no allowance for the adjustment I mentioned above.

What about purchasing a roll of aluminum flashing, cutting two triangle shapes, and then hammering them over on top of themselves to create two wedges, of sorts, to attach to the front radiator frame? Now, I haven't looked at the backside of the frame, so I have no idea if this is even possible. But it might be worth a try.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post. This is my "stream-of-consciousness" mode coming off of a long, hard week at work and a little extra cash in my pocket.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

I cant visualize what are you are attempting. I have a vararam and need to install a plate nitrous system. Do you have a link to Ricks mod "a nifty way to cut into the front radiator support frame, push the Vararam forward with a longer coupler, and then seal up the radiator frame with foam rubber such that you effectively restore the OEM seal between the radiator frame and the radiator,?"

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, he's never posted a thread, so it's not on the forums. Myself and others who have seen his (beastly) car in person got the demo.

So far as I know, it really is that simple. Use a cutting tool to basically trim away bits of the radiator frame where the Vararam sits so that it can inch forward, and the radiator with it, obviously. That reduces the gap between the radiator and the frame such that it can be more easily filled. I've just been - and I would say, understandably! - reluctant to do that kind of surgery.

(Just so we're clear, the "radiator frame" or "radiator support" is the big black piece of plastic that is behind the front bumper and crash support, to which your headlights bolt and your radiator attaches. Don't grind the radiator itself or any of the plastic directly attached to it!)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Gives me something to think about.....

Post Thanks / Like

Found this on Rick's Google + page, and it's on the other board.

Rick, if you want me delete the pic please let me know...
    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    08' Pontiac G8 GT PBM
    11.323@121.66 Rock Falls Raceway 10-11-14
    N/A RCR Car

Post Thanks / Like

^Looks like mine...oh wait it is!! lol.

Haven't got the car back yet but I'll get any pics you guys are needing....if it's ok with Rick of course.
    06 GTO- Sold
    08 GT MGM- Cam, Heads, Intake, TB, UDP, and Tune by G8-4-Speed. Kooks, 2800 stall, 3.27 gears, VMR 19"

Post Thanks / Like

I really just need to go spend a day at Rick's and give him all of my money. I don't think he'd complain too much. At least not about the money part.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=06PBM;527471]^Looks like mine...oh wait it is!! lol.

Haven't got the car back yet but I'll get any pics you guys are needing....if it's ok with Rick of course.[/QUOTE

Yeah some more detailed pics would be great. Looks like you are running mafless? Any reason why or does Rick prefer speed density tunes?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, looking more closely at that photo above, he may not have done the cutting to get it to sit further forward. The radiator frame does not appear to be modified in that pic.

Doesn't look too terribly different from what I've got:

It does look like there's a different intake tube with a card-type MAF, likely an LS7 to handle more airflow for the change to the cam/heads/etc.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 05-18-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a LS7 type maf and I believe your correct about pushing it forward.
    06 GTO- Sold
    08 GT MGM- Cam, Heads, Intake, TB, UDP, and Tune by G8-4-Speed. Kooks, 2800 stall, 3.27 gears, VMR 19"