Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to put native E85 on your G8

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up! Fresh corny goodness
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

You finally did it, that's awesome Greg! I'm glad someone took the time to make this work and write it up. My sensor and cable you sold me last year are still in my desk at home. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Any reason you couldn't mount the sensor on the return fuel line near the engine? (For those of us with return fuel lines that is).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExpLiciTSainT View Post
    Any reason you couldn't mount the sensor on the return fuel line near the engine? (For those of us with return fuel lines that is).
    None at all and would be better for the higher flow pumps on a return system, if you keep it near the fuel rail.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

My thought would be in between the stock line on the firewall, and the return fuel line (since my stock line is the return line). Seems like I'd just need a quick connect fuel line and it'd snap right onto the sensor.

How long does it take for your car to calibrate the ethanol changes?

Post Thanks / Like

The sad truth is this is a little late as all the Ethanol products are dying off. I predict that corn ethanol products will be all but gone in less than 5 years. The fact of the matter is we as a nation cannot afford to continue to use food to make fuel. There are other non food ethanol bases that they are pursuing but none of the plants are as widely grown as corn.

I am not in any way discrediting your work Greg, I would still like to tune my car to run it as it is very readily available.
    09' GT PBM, Vararam, SLP Loudmouth, Tuned via HPTuners

Post Thanks / Like

My thought would be in between the stock line on the firewall, and the return fuel line (since my stock line is the return line). Seems like I'd just need a quick connect fuel line and it'd snap right onto the sensor.

How long does it take for your car to calibrate the ethanol changes?
    The car adjusts on the fly to the sensor output changes See the video Dave Steck posted

See how the air/fuel ratio changes instantly

Quote Originally Posted by diggerzmound View Post
    The sad truth is this is a little late as all the Ethanol products are dying off. I predict that corn ethanol products will be all but gone in less than 5 years. The fact of the matter is we as a nation cannot afford to continue to use food to make fuel. There are other non food ethanol bases that they are pursuing but none of the plants are as widely grown as corn.

I am not in any way discrediting your work Greg, I would still like to tune my car to run it as it is very readily available.
    The point of me doing this was to not only have a way for the car to self adjust fueling and timing on the fly for different blends of fuel (spring/summer/fall), but to also be able to go pick up some E85 or Methonal from the strip and just dump it into my tank and do nothing else.

Once tuned correctly the sensor will tell the ECM the content of the fuel and adjust the A/F and timing accorgingly giving the most power for the fuel used.
    You can also buy the box Dave will be selling and use this for nitrous applications to easily adjust timing and fueling.
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I know it can do that, that's why I wanted it. I just heard there was a lag on how long it takes to see the change and make it to the system on the first fuel up (super short, few seconds or something). I was curious if it was true, sounds like it is not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that was only with the virtual sensor GM used in the trucks.
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    The point of me doing this was to not only have a way for the car to self adjust fueling and timing on the fly for different blends of fuel (spring/summer/fall), but to also be able to go pick up some E85 or Methonal from the strip and just dump it into my tank and do nothing else.
    Methanol will kill your flex fuel sensor, and it won't report the proper alcohol content. Do not let that sensor see methanol.

Oh I know it can do that, that's why I wanted it. I just heard there was a lag on how long it takes to see the change and make it to the system on the first fuel up (super short, few seconds or something). I was curious if it was true, sounds like it is not.
    As far as I can tell, it uses the last recorded value while running on startup. When I mess with it without the engine running, it recognizes the adjusted frequency and content, but doesn't update the stoich point until you actually crank.
    2006 Corvette Z06 - TTix twin Precision 6265 turbocharged money pit
    DSX Tuning
    +1000whp club