Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: manual conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    You will need to also modify your shift linkage with a camaro trans.

For the price of modifications you can buy a gxp trans and sell the camaro transmission.
    I know a dude who has one for 3k new in the box. You'll probably get $1500 for the camaro trans. Worth the upgrade if you ask me.
    Could you give me the contact info on the gxp that you mentioned? I could put the motor in and sell the camaro trans. Source the few parts I would need and get the gxp.

Post Thanks / Like

When you go to Pro dynotech tell Ron and Priscilla I said hi.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    When you go to Pro dynotech tell Ron and Priscilla I said hi.
    I will,. They know you as ray with the red g8?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ah555666 View Post
    I will,. They know you as ray with the red g8?
    Yes Sir. If you are there before the end of May, I'll stop by.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know what whiteline charges to correct the bcm issue? I can get a reman gxp manual bcm for 155. I emailed them over the weekend but they won't give a price or estimate on turn around until the 13th because they are swamped. I'm switching to the ls3, I know the stock ecm can be programmed to work or even the camaro ecm, but couldn't you just swap the ecm and bcm from a gxp and fire it up? Maybe have to use the gxp wire harness as well. It would essentially be a plug and play at that point. Maybe for less than it costs to tow it to a shop and have them program it. Anybody have some input on this? I was reading through about this conversion using the camaro t6060 and they mentioned notching the crossmember. They also replied to a question asking which crossmember worked, and they only said stock crossmember. Would that be our stock g8 auto crossmember, or a stock gxp manual?
    Last edited by ah555666; 05-08-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you know but the gxp is 09.5. If you have a 08-09 it won't work. Plus you need to flash it to vin match anyway.
    You can't just plug in the bcm ecm from another car. The radio and gadgets cluster is vin matched.
    Just flash your stuff.
    Cross member is m6 specific. As well as drive shaft
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking of swapping out my auto trans too and I appreciate the info u have provided. I don't understand what u mean by flash the tune with the trans segment. Can u help me understand what u mean?

Post Thanks / Like

On the program for the engine control there is sections that help the engine control decide what to do. The transmission is a big part of that. For example before an automatic shifts the engine will change timing to reduce power but keep rpm's up then after the shift returns to normal.
    That part of the tune is the transmission segment. It needs changed to a manual segment so the engine knows what's going on. Basically the big reason is when you turn your key on the car will do a system check and not see the tcm (transmission control module) and not let the car start. Other things like reverse lock out won't function as well.
    Hope that helps.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

That helps! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have the clutch pedal position sensor and harness connected, but it will not start. I connected the auto trans plug and it fired up. I had already flashed it to the manual trans and changed anything else that was different . Seems like I have to flash another tune completely, only thing is that the gxp used a different operating system. I took the trans connectors from a manual camaro and ran the wires to the correct circuits. There was one wire in the auto trans connector that had to be swapped to a different pin location, maybe in the ecm connector. I don't know if it was the neutral safety switch tho. I ordered and forgot about a gxp harness from gmparts , 4-5 weeks later it showed up. So I could switch it out. If it's something I already added I'd prefer to keep my harness. I'll have to look and see if I can find it, if I didn't add it maybe that's the problem. I added the wire connector for the clutch pedal position sensor. I can start it in gear tho. My Speedo is about 20mph to low, and fluctuates a bit. I'm gonna have to try and compare settings to see if I can't fix it.. It's not set to read off the wheel sensors, I thought it would work since I added the vss along with the skip shift and rev lockout. Got about a dozen warning signals it takes about 2 min to go through when I start the car. Aside from some hesitation when accelerating it runs and drives good. It's my first time using any kind of tuning software so it might take some time to get the engine running smooth. I used the 6.2 gxp settings, I might need to switch to the 2010 Camaro SS. That's where the engine came from. There were differences in the 3 different "stock" tunes I looked at, so I don't know which to go off of.. The camaro subframe and suspension feels a little looser than the g8 bushings. Car has 240k on it, so I'm kind of surprised that the camaro components don't feel tighter, even with the fatter sway bar. Might be due to the height increase, with the higher center of gravity.

If anybody that has done this swap could upload to hptuners, or email me their tune so I can either a: have the correct tune with the correct os [2008 g8 gt 12624402] or b: have a tune to compare and save the correct settings for the speed sensor and what not.
    I flashed a manual Holden tune last night and it wouldn't start, so I re-flashed the original so I could at least drive it. It was finally on the ground, was 330am, raining so I didn't jack it up to unhook the tcm and try jumping pins 10to14 And 11 to 13 to see if that would make a difference. Might try it after the weekend, it's my only transportation and it's been on jack stands in a gravel driveway for 6 weeks [waiting on parts that are hard to find and some I didn't know I needed] I did most of my research after pulling the engine and transmission. [Dont be like me, do your homework and order parts before you start] impatience gets you nowhere with this swap. Found a gxp manual and sold the camaro tr6060. I forgot what it was like to drive a v8 6spd American sports car. Feels better than my old 99' formula ws6